Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    air2009 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 09:59 AM
    Do those income count among my taxable income?-dual status
    Please help,

I am on dual status for 2008 tax purpose. I was on H1B and left US in April, 2008. My questions are:

During my non-resident period of 2008, I only received interests from US saving account and dividends from US brokerage account(some of dividends distributed in my IRA and mutual fund).

1.Do those interests from US saving account count among my taxable income on form 1040NR?

2.Are those dividends taxable? Should I show those as taxable income on form 1040NR?

I still hold a 401k account even I left US, and all funds have been rolled over to the new plan by my former employer, so I got a form 1099-R.

3.should I show this change on the form 1040NR or 1040? And which line?

Thanks for your time and consideration.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2009, 10:41 AM

Dual Status?
    How many days you were in the U.S. in 2006 and 2007 and what date you left the U.S. in 2008?
    Are you single or married? What return did you file in 2007?
    air2009 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 11:09 AM

Yes, I am on dual status in 2008.
    My wife and I lived in US for 5+ years(she didn't work at all in US), and we left US in April 18, 2008.
    Before 2008, we used to file form 1040(jointly).

Thank you for your reply~~
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 04:09 PM
    1) The interest earned during the non-resident time is NOT taxable, but must be reported on the dual-status return on Form 1040NR.

2) The dividends ARE taxable.

3) Show the rollover on Form 1040, Line 16.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Mar 3, 2009, 08:30 PM

The dividends will be taxed at a flat 30% rate unless a treaty applies to have a reduced rate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non taxable income [ 1 Answers ]

From Jan. until Dec. I received workman compensation. It was not taxed of course. But I have kids that depend on my tax information for the pell grant. Can I still file my taxes and do I have to report the settlement I received?

On NJ Tax form, for income taxed by NY, do I use the NY AGI or NY Taxable Income amt? [ 1 Answers ]

When filling out the NJ Income Tax form, I have to identify the amount of income taxed by NY State. Do I use the Adjusted Gross Income value (NY form IT-203) line 31, or the NY Taxable Income value from line 37?

Dual Status Reuturn and Foreign Income - 1st year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I tried to read through as many posts of this kind and their excellent answers, but still I have some doubts. My situation is as follows - 1. I arrived to the USA, with my wife, in Oct 2006, and we are present here till rest of 2007, 08.. (on L1 Visa) - I filed for extension till...

How to report foreing based income in dual status? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved into the US in March and have a work Visa starting the day I arrived. I know I can file dual status, and know how to file my US-Income, but how do I report my foreign income that I received when I was living abroad (non-resident alien)? Reading through other posts, the foreign...

Taxable income [ 4 Answers ]

Are employee cell phone reimbursements considered taxable income

View more questions Search