Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 05:16 AM
    Plain Flour or Self Raising?
    Hello! I have just very cleverly filled two unmarked bottles with flour. One with self raising, the other with plain. Unfortunately, I forgot to take note of which is which. Is there anyway of identifying which is which (aside from baking something and seeing if it rises or not)? :o
    MUCH obliged :D thank you.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 17, 2009, 11:56 AM
    I don't use flour, but it should be easy to test. Mix 1/4 cup of each with some water. Then set aside for a few hours (or overnight) and see which one rises. I'm guessing that self-rising flour will rise.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2009, 02:10 AM

Simple Take a small teaspoon full and add some vinegar to it. If you get foaming then it will be self rising. The baking soda will react with the vinegar
    melba080 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 04:48 PM

What to use when you don't have self rising flour
    qnman Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 07:42 PM

Baking powder! The bottle would have instructions on flour/baking powder ratio. Don't get over excited using it, if you put too much you get a soapy feeling and taste in your food. Not appetizing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it plain flour or self-raising? [ 15 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! :confused: :confused: :confused: I seem to recall that there is some way of telling, like by mixing it with water and seeing if it bubbles, but... I tried that with some flour that is in a bag still, so I...

Converting plain flour to self raising [ 2 Answers ]

G'day, Just wondering if anyone out there knows the ratio of plain flour to raising agent to convert it to self rasing flour, :) taa whingypom

Plain or SR flour [ 1 Answers ]

I have some flour in a storage jar and I can't remember if it is plain or self-raising.! I seem to recall that there is some way of telling...

Self raising flour v plain flour + baking powder? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm making jam drops with my kids and I only have self raising flour in the pantry can I use it instead of the plain flour and baking powder?

Plain flour vs all purpose flour [ 1 Answers ]

Most of my cake recipes call for plain flour. When I use all purpose flour my cakes do not turn out the way they used to. The cake is not as fluffy as it used to be. Should I add baking powder to the recipes?

View more questions Search