Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GeoHub Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Being Kicked out because owner coming home
    Here is my situation. I am currently in a lease with two other people and it ends in about five months. It is not month to month but has a very specific begin and end date. We just got a call from our landlord that we have about a month to move out because the owner is coming back from overseas and needs to live here. Is this legal at all, do we get any monetary compensation, and is it worth fighting? I was told by one of my roommates, who owns rental property, that the rental agency or landlord will be required to pay us for the remaining months on our lease. Any help on this subject would be much appreciated.
    DSMom Posts: 55, Reputation: 17

Feb 12, 2009, 12:36 PM

I am very confused as to how it is month to month but also has a start and end date?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 12:38 PM

Do you have a written lease agreement? If not, then most states require that the landlord to give you 30 days notice to vacate; if so, the landlord cannot just break your lease because the owner needs a place to stay.

I have yet to find any law that states the landlord has to pay you for the remaining months on the lease; what state are you in? Does your roommate have a reference for this law he believes exists?
    GeoHub Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 01:14 PM
    I live in California. I'm not sure where my roommate got that info and have been trying to check on it. The only basis for it that I can see is that we have to also agree to break the lease (which is written) and thus can force them to meet our demands or we stay here until the end of the lease. They have no legal reason to break the lease, i.e. we have not done anything to warrant an eviction.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 01:18 PM

If you have a written lease agreement, the owner cannot force you to move just because they decided they're moving back in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do you agree 21 yo son kicked out of home? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All We have been attempting to rais my 21 yo son from a previous mother for the last 3 years. The first time he moved in with us was to get his education finished and start moving forward with his life. He moved out in a day after my wife and me went to work only to move to Arizona where...

1/3 home owner family estate. Can I borrow with home as colatural? [ 1 Answers ]

My brothers and I each own 1/3 of estate property that we want to sale in the near future. Is it possible I could get a loan based on my 1/3 of the estate? With consent of brothers, and how would they be effected?

Moble home repo on private property, not owned by moble home owner [ 3 Answers ]

I am the land owner of some property in Georgia, I let my Sister place her mobile home on this private property. The question is, does the repo company have the right to come on my property and destroy my trees, bust water lines, run over my shrubs etc, be rude and over barring without contacting...

Home owner [ 2 Answers ]

On a forced air heater, the blower fan does not stop running, after heat has turned off. What would cause this?

Want to be a home owner [ 4 Answers ]

Please I need an expert to answer this question.Me and my husband have a house together, but we are not getting along right now, I want to leave and separate from him, and get on my own, can I request that he take my name off the house or can he even do that? Because I want to buy a house of my...

View more questions Search