Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    robo35 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 11:09 AM
    Precision of Measurement
    Why a highly precise measurement does not always mean a highly accurate one?
    rwinterton Posts: 289, Reputation: 15

Feb 12, 2009, 02:16 PM

Think of it this way. I have a bathroom scale. I step on the scale in the morning five times and it reads 150.1, 150.2, 150.2, 150.3, 150.1. The average weight is 150.18. The measurement is precise to within a few tenths of a pound. Nevertheless, it is not accurate. However, when I go to the doctor's office, he says I weigh 160 lbs. His scale (or balance, if you wish) is certified accurate. My bathroom scale is apparently not accurate.

In this case, there is a systematic error -- probably caused by a calibration error. There is also random error (that's why each reading isn't exactly 150.18).

Random errors usually predict precision, systematic errors (or minimizing them) are responsible for accuracy.
    musicaid Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2010, 07:54 AM
    Quite simply because the definition of the word "precise" is not the same as the definition of the word "accurate"They are two completely different things and hence you can be precisely accurate or precisely inaccurate depending on your ability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Precision in c [ 1 Answers ]

I have a precision problem in c this can be understand better by an example I declare a variable in float then I stored in it 0.10101 but when I printed it it shows 0.10095 how can I remove this problem because I can't lose any digit, precision is very imp for my program

Calcullating required tonnage of a precision AC Plant [ 4 Answers ]

There is a requirement of installation of Precision AC in a Server Room of size 2500Sq. Feet with 8ft 6inch hight, out side temperature in summer goes up to 47 degree C where as room required to be remain at 18 degree C and Electronics installed here are going to consume approximate 75KW of...

JDAM Precision Bombs [ 11 Answers ]

Hello again, wingnuts: So, you think it's a good idea to sell the Saudi's, whose armed forces are rife with Al Qaeda infiltrators, JDAM weapons?? Of course, these people are in a virtual state of war with our ally Israel, but I guess that doesn't matter. Plus, the 9/11 killers WERE Saudi's,...

Measurement for rough in [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know the rough in, measurements for a toilet and shower(36" squire)

What measurement should be given first [ 1 Answers ]

Once I ordered some replacement windows for a house. The discussion during this order was what should be given first the width or the length?

View more questions Search