Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smalindem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 10:21 AM
    Can previous employer give a bad reference?
    I was terminated from my employer, because I married a contractor that worked for them. Then I was not honest about it, because I really didn't feel it was any of their business, and there is a code of conduct about having any type of relationship with a contractor. I would like to put them on my resume, but am unsure if that would be bad, career wise. I would like to know what they can disclose as far as a reference.
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Feb 12, 2009, 11:51 AM

They can say anything that want as far as your performance, and why you were terminated. How long did you work there?

If its long, you will want to include it on your resume because otherwise it will show a gap in employment.. not good.

If you did a good job and no other issues with them. I doubt you will have an issue. Often the potential employer will just call the contacts (references) you supply. And, MAY call prev employers to verify you worked there.

Good luck!
    frostedflake Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 06:29 PM

Ask your previous employer yourself for a letter of reference. They don't have to give you a letter just because you requested one, but perhaps they will. It may not be full of compliments, but it will contain less criticism than a phone reference. See what it says, then decide if you want to use it. Even if it's the truth, you'll be prepared to explain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can a previous employer say about you? [ 11 Answers ]

I left my job of almost 2 years just recently. I am now seeking employment elsewhere and wanted to know if my previous employer can give me a "bad" reference. I didn't really leave on the best terms (did not give two weeks notice, but DID finish my shift that day, and informed them that I would not...

W2 from a previous Employer [ 3 Answers ]

How can I get my W2 from a previous employer? Is there any way to do this online?

Can my previous employer put I'm pregnant on my reference? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,my friends 2 months pregnant and starting a new job but her previous employers know she's pregnant but her current employers don't know yet,will they put it down in her reference? Cheers

Returning to a Previous Employer [ 3 Answers ]

What is/are the rules if a former employee wishes to return to a previous place of employment at the request of this former employer? For long term reasons, how does this look for resume purposes?:confused:

Request previous employers reference [ 1 Answers ]

I applied for a job and was successful, but now I want to see what my previous manager wrote about me. Do I have the right to view my previous employers reference?

View more questions Search