Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spanielle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 08:34 AM
    Ex husband threatening to sue me for child abandonment
    I have been divorced since October of 08. My son lived with me up until Dec of 08, I decided to move to better my life and my son did not want to come with me. I wanted him to come but he wanted to move in with his dad. He now lives with his dad. (My son and I have a horrible relationship and he's 9) I only live 4 hours away and I see him at least one weekend a month and we speak almost everyday on the phone. I have not started to pay child support yet because I only started my job last week. I have every intention of supporting my son. I would never not support my son unlike his father who paid very little child support last year (not through the courts) because he did not have a job. He is threatening to take me to court for child abandonment and trying to sue me for $200 a week child support. I do not make enough to give him that amount of money. So my question is... In the state of PA what constitutes child abandonment and is it possible that the court could make me pay that amount of child support even if I can not afford it? How do I figure out on my salary what I would have to pay?

Thank you,

Danielle
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2009, 08:40 AM

If there is NO court ordered support, then there is no issue of child abandonment. What you need to do is formalize support by asking a Family court to issue an order for support.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2009, 09:04 AM

Your "ex" didn't support the child the child was with you, for whatever reason; you aren't supporting the child now because you just started a job. I don't see a whole lot of taking responsibility on either side.

At any rate - it's not child abandonment and the Courts use a formula to determine the amount of child support to be paid. Your "ex" won't sue you as such. He'll file for legal custody and probably support. You'll file for legal custody (if you want it) and visitation. The Court will decide dates and amounts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Abandonment [ 11 Answers ]

I moved to Atlanta in July 07' from NYC. I have a court order for child support and my daughter's father was paying until I moved here. Since I've been here, he's stopped paying child support altogether and tell me to take him back to court. Can I file for child abandonment since its been over 30...

Child abandonment [ 3 Answers ]

In November of 2007, my brother lost his wife to a sudden and unexpected aortic aneurysm, at the time they're newborn was just a few months old. Due to the shock and sudden chaos caused by this,, my brother opted to leave the baby with his dead wife's parents, until he could get things under...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Do I have the enough to charge my ex-husband with abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

I was hoping that I could get some feedback on a question that has been bugging for awhile. My issue is that Im getting married to a man that wants to adopt my son and call him his on own but my ex-husband refuse to sign over his rights. My ex-husband does not support my son in anyway, hasn't...

Abandonment issues with my husband [ 4 Answers ]

My Husband has left my 2 year old son and I. He has also left me with all the responsibility of running the household and all the financial responsibility. I do not work because I am caring for the infant. He has not seen our son in one month. Not sure where to start. Need help. I would...

View more questions Search