Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayngirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 02:26 PM
    Insurance/roof replacement
    There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it LOOKS like the old ones, and just spot fix it? Who should I believe? Any advice?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 02:48 PM
    Bottom line: You won't get paid for more than the ins co says they will pay you for... that is, they'll pay for repair or they'll pay for replacement, period.

So if an actual adjuster (from your ins. Co) has not been out yet, get them out there. He/She will "rule" as to whether repair or replace... and very likely have a dollar amount of what they'll pay within a day or so... and possibly even write you a check on the spot.

[I'm guessing it was not an adjuster you were talking to; because I can assure you now, that as stated above is not going to be how it plays out.]

Once you get the scoop from the adjuster, you go from there as to what, if anything, you'll do.

A tornado 6 months ago tells me there are "storm chaser" contractors in your area. They'll certainly tell you you have damage. If the insurance company agrees - and you decide to have work done on your roof, be sure to pick a contractor who has been doing business in your area for years. Many of the ones in your town now are only there because of the recent tornado... and they'll be gone in a year.

Let us know how it goes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2006, 07:40 PM
    See if you can get a insurance company adjuster to come out and inspect it.

Next you need to get a licenced contracter who is insured with liabiltiy and workers comp insurance ( that makes sure they are a real company)
    And get about 3 of them to give you bids.

Then you take those bids and talk to your insurance cmpany.

Most shingles can be matched pretty close, even if one company is closed down another companies shingles will normally match standard colors,
    White black, green and so on. If you had some special color custom made that can be different.

** this is a note for anyone doing a new roof, always keep a extra package of singles keep back for patch needs.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 20, 2009, 11:37 AM

Concept, do you understand that you can not advertise on this site?
    chrisgford Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2011, 10:47 AM
    Also, you do not have to accept what the adjuster allows if you diagree with the findings. You pay premiums, they owe to properly restore your home. Contact a local Public Adjuster, they will ensure you are treated fairly and one I know of if allowed to contract the repairs charges NO FEES to settle the claim!
    DonaldPDC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Retain your own Public Adjuster. You will have compromised yourself by accepting the patch from the insurance co in the event of any future roof damage. Now they can patch away, see, you already have one!!
    Show me policy which allow any insurance co. to devalue an insured's property sounds like financial gain to me as well as bad faith...
    Best Regards,
    Don
    Property Damage Consulting

contact and adjuster
    teacherjenn4 Posts: 4,005, Reputation: 468
    Education Expert

Jul 26, 2013, 09:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ParentiIns View Post
    I would for sure discuss with adjusters. It isn't uncommon for them to negotiate on the claims, especially if you have a reason to believe they aren't paying enough to property rectify the claim.
    Watch the dates on the questions you are replying to. This one is very old! If it's more than 6 months old, I imagine the problem has been resolved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Home Owner's Insurance and New Roof [ 9 Answers ]

I need a new roof on my home. Can I use my homeowners insurance for a new roof? And, if so, with insurance companies the way they are these days, would their be a chance that they would drop me if I do this? Thanks

Motgage Insurance vs. Life Insurance [ 6 Answers ]

Hi-- I just bought a new house and am getting solicitations for mortgage insurance if I kick the bucket. I don't want my wife to have to be burdened by mortgage debt. Had thought about getting term life insurance to cover the mortgage amount, what's the better approach??

Roof top decks [ 2 Answers ]

Our new apt. in NYC has roof rights. We are allowed to build on our area, which I really want to do, but I can't find info on building a deck on a roof. Most books, advice columns, etc are about decks that are built in a yard. Can anyone recommend info specifically on building roof decks in...

Roof receptical [ 3 Answers ]

I need to install a receptical under the eve of my roof for roof cable to plug into for melting ice on my roof. I would also like a pilot lite switch installed to let me know when the power is on for the roof cables. Do I need conduit from the inside of the house to the outside box. Any help in...

View more questions Search