Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nil114 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 12:47 AM
    How to clear cloudy water
    Hi
    I just setup a 46 galllons tank with plants. The water is still cloudy . Advice me what to do?
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 07:45 PM
    All new aquariums will cloud up at first. It's a mixture of the toxin ammonia caused by fish waste and beneficial bacterial blooms. It's part of the cycling process.
    You can wait it out... this can take up to 4 to 6 weeks to clear up or you can buy bottled bacteria to help speed the cycling process along.
    I recommend using the bottled bacteria product Cycle by Nutrafin instead of waiting it out, especially if you have fish in the tank.

If you have fish and decide to waiting it out, preforming a 10% water change daily will benefit the health of your fish.

Do you have any fish in the water or just plants? If so how many and what species?
    And how long have you had the tank running?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:52 AM

As a general rule you need to wait at least 6 weeks before considering putting fish in your tank. You can buy bacterias and cultures to add to the water but it is still healthier to wait the six weeks for it to get right into your filtration system. I use a product called 'Geo liquid' it actually makes the tank cloudier for about a day then overnight it becomes crystal clear. It is safe to use with fish in the tank as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cloudy water from refrigerator water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to troubleshoot/fix cloudy water issue. Water from all faucets, etc. is clear, except from the refrigerator water dispenser. I have detached the refrig. Water supply line and opened the value, and still get cloudy water... so I assume the refrig is not the issue. How do I find the...

Well Water - Fluctuating Pressure & Cloudy Water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All - I live about 30 miles SW of Atlanta, GA, as the crow flies. I have lived in my home since new, which is 5 years now. I have a drilled well that is 125 feet deep, and the well was originally certified at 32 gallons per minute. To date, I have had absolutely no problems with pressure,...

Cloudy pool water can't get it clear [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a easy set up pool with the inflatable top ring its 18ft round and 4ft deep and my water got really cloudy I brought a sample to the pool place he gave me some chemicals so I did what he said and it still was cloudy.I have all non chlorine chemicals in my pool.when I use a test strip in...

View more questions Search