Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newmom1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2009, 12:06 AM
    1 of 2 zone heat not working
    1 zone of my 2 is not working. Even if I shut the heat to "off" the baseboards continue to feel extremely hot and the temp in that zone is almost 90 degrees. Called the oil company for repair and the guy basically said that nothing could be done. Prior to today I had no problem and now it's a sauna up there. PLEASE HELP as I have my newborn twins sleeping in this zone.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Called the oil company for repair and the guy basically said that nothing could be done

I would be calling another service company since in this situation there is not much you can do unless you know how to work on the zoning controls and all there associated parts and pieces.

The possibilities are

Defective thermostat
    Defective thermostat wiring (damaged)
    Defective zone valve
    Defective pump controller (contacts welded)

You will need a electric meter and know how to use it. (To test the parts and find the problem)
    You will need the appropriate hand tools to disassemble and replace parts.
    You may need a torch if it is necessary to replace the entire zone valve.

This is for starters. I am sorry but I have no magic cure for this type of problem since zone systems are a bit more complex to diagnose.

About the only thing you can check and do is to make sure the thermostat is turned off or down all the way so it is not calling for heat.

If you have the Honeywell brand zone valves there is a lever on the end that can be opened manually. Make sure it is set to the automatic. Lift and release if necessary on the lever. If the valve is stuck it might close.

See page 12 figure 10. Look for manual and auto lever on valve. Make sure it is in the automatic mode.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli...0s/60-2133.pdf
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 04:42 AM
    Oil-fired... is this system forced air, hot water, or steam? Based on your description of the problem, I'm guessing water or steam. Sounds like a zone valve is stuck or the motor has failed, so it won't close and is keeping the boiler under demand. If you can locate the valve, you may be able to rotate it to the closed position manually (depending on type), but ultimately you should call in a pro. If the system is forced air, then throw out everything I just said... and call in a pro.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO Heat in One Zone of Multiple Zone System [ 6 Answers ]

The heat in our four zone house is working except for one zone. Digital Honeywell THermostat lights up when programmed, little flame picture appears and click noise is heard, just like other thermostats, but no heat in that zone. Any ideas what is wrong or how to fix. Thanks

Heating Zone not working [ 4 Answers ]

It's heating season again and I have a 6 zone hot water heating system and one zone is not working suddenly. It was working fine the other day and today the zone pump will not go on. The thermostat appears to be working fine as it is calling for heat. Is there a procedure that I can follow to...

2 zone oil heat, 2nd zone runs 1st zone [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 2 zone oil burner. The 1st zone (upstairs) runs separately and works no problem. The 2nd zone(basment), when we try to run 2nd zone separately , it seems to run zone 1(upstairs) and the baseboard heating upstairs gets hot and heats zone 1 even thought we have the t-stat set low...

Zone not working [ 1 Answers ]

I have an issue with a gas furnace. I have a megastore hot water heater that was replaced this weekend by myself Prior to replacing the tank I used all shutoff leading to and from furnace. When I return to building on Monday one of the zones was not operating. Finally called a professional. He...

View more questions Search