Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    spanglish30 Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
    I this fair or not?
    I am feeling like I'm being used a little bit.

Here's the deal.I've been doing hair for 11 years.I started this new job from the ground up with this franchise/corporation since day 1 for two years.we began and had so many workers come and go.In those two years I saw at least almost 20 people get fired or quit.The scheduling is a problem for some.My manager lives 20 min.away and she is managing another salon 1 hour away.We are open 9 a.m.-9p.m.M-F Sat 9-6p.m. and Sun 11-5p.m.Okay so we all from the start worked like 3 night shifts and turned around and came in at like 9a.m.! (in the beginning)and then as time went on the scheduling got a little better for some of us.I finally got the days off I wanted as we hired newer people etc.

Well,now those co-workers of mine that are still there (most everyone has now left from the original crew)there are now 3 of us not including the manager.Recently,my manager has been hiring her friends and cousins.And they are working a lot of the "crappy shifts".
    But all 3 of my coworkers have these perfect shifts.Me,I told my managaer the other day that it seems like my co-worker has the perfect 9-5 shifts while I have to close.None of them close.Just me.I told her that I have a son and a husband and that it's kind of not fair etc.and she listened and I thought we were on the same page.This other co-worker she is older,but no kids or any of that.Then my manager said that the owners want her to close at least one night shift and even the other coworker would have to as well.Yea,right!!
    I just got my schedule for 2 weeks ahead.My manager put it in my locker while I was busy working before she left for the day.(what a sneaky move)I saw my schedule and I was pissed!! I never call in sick (they just fired someone for that one)and I always come in and cover shifts,I always am on time to work etc.Even the owners gave me a gift card the other day and a card saying that they hope I never leave,because I'm one of the TOP stylists in there and I do good sales.But they are never there to see the daily crap.
    It's like my manager has her little cliques she hooks up with.She is nice to my face but I feel like she talks behind my back.The owners don't want to lose me,though.But they don't know how she is doing the scheduling.Ughhh,I'm sooo pissed,beacsue she scheduled me to close 2 nights in a row.AFTER we had that talk,too!! I saw that her or the other co-workers that have been there for as long as me had great schedules that week!But me-I'm having to close.So I feel like she lied and just wanted to say whatever she had to say to make me feel better for the time.It's not fair.So I wrote her this email(she won't get it until next Tues.)I explained how I'm on time blah blah blah and that I'm not trying to complain,but it's not fair.And why is it that I have the same seniority as the other gals,but why am I closing?

Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this in a mature manner?? I'm so mad.I am thankful that I do have a job and I am a hard worker.But I feel like I'm being taken advantage of here?!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 07:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to handle this in a mature manner?
    Yes, stop complaining. No one likes a complainer. Not much is gained by it either. And you closing more than others is neither "fair" nor "unfair". That argument is emotional and will get you nowhere. You're an employee and the boss is paying you for your time. The only "fair" thing is that you be smarter about approaching the topic, 'cause no one likes being told they're being "unfair".

(Life isn't "fair", so why stress that point EVER? In any conversation with anyone?)

Anyway, I do know what you're after, though. And the way to get it is through leadership, not through whining.

You have to approach requests for change as a positive interaction between you and the boss. She has to enjoy this topic with you, not dread it.

Also, there is such a thing as a personal life. Get one. Wanting to be "home with the family" (which is important, mind you) doesn't sound nearly as important as "taking a class Tuesdays and Thursdays".

Feel the difference?

Or draw the boss onto your side emotionally instead of aiming emotions AT her. "My husband and I are going to marriage counseling three times a week now...Tuesday and Thursday nights for the next 4 or 5 months. Thanks for helping me with the schedule, this is such a hard time."

When you talk with your boss, be looking for ways to make you working fewer (not none, fewer) closing shifts a good thing, not a "fair" thing. Is there some benefit to the company you are not providing by working evenings all the time? Find something and point out how much you'd like to do THAT for the company, if you only you were allowed to... but it's a daytime hours thing.

You're going to have to figure out what benefits can be provided to the company by you working days. Right now, there's a clear benefit to your working at night, and you know it. The boss likes you, trusts you, and closing personnel need a high level of trust.

So even though you don't like it, it's possibly NOT an insult that they prefer you on the shift you're on now. You'll need to have real reasons of your own to supersede that fact, or a personal life reason to override it.

Other than that, life is what you make it, and making a "fuss" is never profitable.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 07:31 PM
    You have assigned shifts, the mature thing is to basically stop being a pain and just work when assigned.
    Normally when I was a manager when someone keep complaining, I either gave them a worst shift or sent them home.
    If you are unhappy with work conditions, move to another company.

Feb 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire View Post
    Yes, stop complaining. No one likes a complainer. Not much is gained by it either. And you closing more than others is neither "fair" nor "unfair". That argument is emotional and will get you nowhere. You're an employee and the boss is paying you for your time. The only "fair" thing is that you be smarter about approaching the topic, 'cause no one likes being told they're being "unfair".

(Life isn't "fair", so why stress that point EVER? In any conversation with anyone?)

Anyway, I do know what you're after, though. And the way to get it is through leadership, not through whining.

You have to approach requests for change as a positive interaction between you and the boss. She has to enjoy this topic with you, not dread it.

Also, there is such a thing as a personal life. Get one. Wanting to be "home with the family" (which is important, mind you) doesn't sound nearly as important as "taking a class Tuesdays and Thursdays".

Feel the difference?

Or draw the boss onto your side emotionally instead of aiming emotions AT her. "My husband and I are going to marriage counseling three times a week now...Tuesday and Thursday nights for the next 4 or 5 months. Thanks for helping me with the schedule, this is such a hard time."

When you talk with your boss, be looking for ways to make you working fewer (not none, fewer) closing shifts a good thing, not a "fair" thing. Is there some benefit to the company you are not providing by working evenings all the time? Find something and point out how much you'd like to do THAT for the company, if you only you were allowed to...but it's a daytime hours thing.

You're going to have to figure out what benefits can be provided to the company by you working days. Right now, there's a clear benefit to your working at night, and you know it. The boss likes you, trusts you, and closing personnel need a high level of trust.

So even though you don't like it, it's possibly NOT an insult that they prefer you on the shift you're on now. You'll need to have real reasons of your own to supersede that fact, or a personal life reason to override it.

Other than that, life is what you make it, and making a "fuss" is never profitable.
    Thank you for your reply! I never have complained,until now.Anyways,thanks for the pointers! I appreciate the "mature" answers.Spanglish30

Feb 12, 2009, 11:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    you have assigned shifts, the mature thing is to basicly stop being a pain and and just work when assigned.
    Normally when i was a manager when someone keep complaining, I either gave them a worst shift or sent them home.
    If you are unhappy with work conditions, move to another company.
    Thank You for the reply to my post.No,I want to stay here at this company,and I wanted to make a stand instead of just working when supposed to.But I like the pointers that JBeaucaire wrote.So anyway,thanks again for writing back a reply.:DSpanglish30

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is this fair [ 3 Answers ]

I know a man who is 50 years old and has been working full time for a company since 1982. He is only getting paid £6.10 an hour. He can not read or write but is this pay fair?

Is it fair? [ 25 Answers ]

Do you think its fair that my boyfriend can tell me what I can and can't do but when I try to tell him something he gets ty and he don't listen to me. For instance I am not allowed to go to a party without him because he thinks I will flirt and act stupid but if he is invited to a party he can go...

Was this fair? [ 11 Answers ]

An unemployed friend of mind agreed to me hiring him to do some housecleaning for me as I am recovering fron an injury. I have a one bedrm condo 1073 sq feet. He vacuumed 3 carpeted areas (LR/DR?BedRM)& washed the hardwood floor around the areas the carpet did not cove. He vacummed the carpet...

What's fair [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been together 6 years. We have had our ups and downs and have decided we want to be together. During a break up he had a one night stand that produced another child. We both have a child from a previous marriage and now one together. He pays child support for his daughter...

Fair Tax [ 11 Answers ]

What do the experts in this room view about changing our Income Tax to the Fair Tax.

View more questions Search