Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 14, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Two SBS Servers together?
    Hi, could anyone clarify this for me:

I have two SBS servers to run together on same phsical network. One is NT and the other 2003 std. Will they fall out with each other if the domain names are different, do I need a different subnet for each domain or do they have to be physically separated via a router etc?

Just to give some background, the 2003 server will replace the NT one but in the mean time applications from both servers need to be available (no PC is going to access both domain controllers, they will be one or the other).

Hope someone can advise on this :)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 14, 2006, 01:38 PM
    The only problem I can see is the DHCP scope for both servers.
    Make sure they don't encroach on each other and you should be fine.
    Separate subnets would help to over come this issue, but you don't need to physically separate them.
    Our Group office runs four domains on the same network with different subnets and its fine.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 14, 2006, 01:45 PM
    So do they run fine within the same subnet? That would be ideal as they could both use the t'interweb router as a gateway!

Nice point about the DHCP scopes, I was going to disable one to save the wrong machines getting the wrong IP addresses and just set them to static.

If I recall, DHCP doesn't need any kind of authentication so if I stop one DHCP server and just use the other one for all the workstations for both domains, they should still login to the domain of their persuasion?
    BossMan

Aug 14, 2006, 02:36 PM
    This might help.
    BossMan

Aug 28, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Just to follow up.
    I have recently upgraded my 2k domain to 2k3 with a different name.
    There are a couple of boxes that I have left on the old domain along with an old NT PDC and everything is running fine.
    I've left the PDC for authentication reasons and disabled DHCP, also setup full trusts between the two domains.

The whole setup runs without any problems, well none that I have noticed yet anyway and all in the same subnet ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dedicated servers [ 3 Answers ]

Is taking a dedicated server service with a hosting service provider will make it possible to host multiple web sites with unlimited number of domains?

DHCP servers [ 2 Answers ]

Why do DHCP servers have static IP addresses

Free web servers [ 3 Answers ]

Can I get list of free web servers that supports dhtml, actives x pagers of visual basic ?

View more questions Search