Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bevares Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2009, 12:41 PM
    Why am I responsible for deceased husband's debts

Why is community property only considered community when it comes to paying the debt? My husband had his own credit cards, I couldn't use them. He passed away, and the creditors want me to pay them, they're shouting community property, although I can't and couldn't use them in California

Bevares
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2009, 05:24 PM

First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

Are you asking what the law is or are you asking a rhetorical question?

In some community property states, the spouse is considered responsible for any debts incurred during the marriage. It may not be fair if your husband built this debt without your knowledge, but that's the law.

Since you don't tell us what state you are in we can't confirm if that is the law in your case.

If the creditor's are citing community property law, ask them to cite the exact law and the provision that makes you responsible.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I responsible for my dead husband's debt? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Oregon. My husband passed away January 1, 2008; our only source of income was his Social Security Benefit and a Non-service Connect Veterans Pension. We had $1005.00 in our joint checking account which I used to pay my monthly expenses for January 2008. My husband had a $1000.00 life...

Responsible for dependents' debts? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been claiming my live-in boyfriend as a dependent. He has cancer and has not been able to work. He has mounting medical bills. Can I be held responsible for these debts because of claiming him as a dependent on my taxes?

Debts of the deceased [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my ex partner whom is the father of my 4year old daughter has recently committed suicide. He has a house which has been remorgaged, he has so much dept from bank loans and credit cards which neither me or his sister (his only other family) knew anything about. His sister is now his next of kin...

Deceased card debts [ 3 Answers ]

My Aunt passed away 12/27/07, she was the primary card holder. Her sister is the secondary card holder. Is she legally responsible for my Aunt who passed away debts on the credit card. One another thing, my Aunt who is the secondary card holder called the credit card company to tell them of her...

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

View more questions Search