Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    somlak_59 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Drug delivery system
    I am going to ask about drug delivery system. I would like to know when the drug travels in the blood stream, How much of drug will lose because of enzym in blood stream. It is good to protect drug from blood environment.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 14, 2006, 07:03 AM
    I believe it is all dependent upon the type of drug, narcotic vs antibiotic and what the drug is used for, pleasure, infection, etc.

Can you elaborate?
    jeffthatcher Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2010, 12:09 PM

Yes, it depends on the type of drug. Nearly all drugs take effect on their target tissue by first traveling through the blood stream. The rate at which the drug enters the bloodstream depends on the route of administration and the chemical structure of the drug. If it is taken orally then it enters the blood through the gastrointestinal tract and its rate of uptake depends on the rate at which it passes through the epithelial lining of the gut (cells or extracellular matrix proteins). If it is delivered through the skin (transdermal) the rate of uptake into the blood will depend on the rate the drug diffuses through the epithelium of the skin and into the capillaries of the skin. Also, drug can simply be directly injected into the bloodstream. There are other mechanisms used to 'force' drug into the bloodstream such as electroporation. Once in the circulatory system, drug will interact with proteins and enzymes in the blood and eventually be taken to the target tissue, liver, kidneys, or non-target tissues where it is metabolized and eventually excreted through the urine. The entire process is called: absorption/administration, distribution, metabolism and excretion/elimination or ADME for short. It is all very dependent on the chemical nature of the drug.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2010, 01:19 PM

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/biolog...tem-31670.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bleeding Again 6 weeks after delivery [ 18 Answers ]

I had a baby six weeks ago. My normal post-pregnancy bleeding stopped about a week and a half ago, but today I noticed that I am bleeding again. It's light - but heavier than spotting. And bright red, so it's not like it's left over from having the baby or anything. Is this something I should be...

Tenant Drug Use [ 16 Answers ]

We rent a one bedroom downstairs flat to a young couple. My family and I live upstairs. The tenants signed a one year lease and moved in on July 1. The lease specified no smoking in the apartment. Beginning a few weeks after they moved in, we have smelled almost daily the odor of marijuana...

Drug delivery system [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to ask more about drug delivery system. Actually, I am PhD student in Japan and do research about carbon nanotube and their application in drug delivery system. Now I try to put drug and magnetic material inside carbon nanotube. I will inject them into blood stream. I expect...

10 weeks after delivery [ 1 Answers ]

10 weeks after delivery- bleeding heavily - but still within guidelines given to me by my ob - no ememrgency. I have bled lightly once a week or so since delivery. Had an ultrasound that revealed a little bit of lining of my uterus still left. OB said it wasn't a problem. Am I just having my...

Periods after delivery [ 4 Answers ]

On Dec 5th I had my son at just 23 weeks. There were some issues after in which I had to have a D and C done. 4 weeks after I had my first period. It was extremely light and lasted 2 weeks! I started my second period 3 days ago and now it is extremely heavy! Is this normal?

View more questions Search