Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blueboy888 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Is linseed oil the same as flax seed oil
    Dear Gentlemen.
    The question I am asking is this one: is linseed oil and Flax seed oil are the one and the same..
    I have been researching and have found that both oils come from the dried seeds of the flax plant ( linum usitatissimum,Linaceae).
    My main reason I have asked this question is both for economic reasons, and due to my work.. where I restore furniture,make insturments, and paintings , and in all cases I make my own varnishes ,oils for my paintings, and for my insturments.
    I hope and pray someone out there might help me find the answer to my question.. blueboy
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 09:13 PM

Wikipedia says they are the same, except that linseed oil is typically extracted with a solvent whereas food grade flax seed oil is cold pressed. I would not recommend using linseed oil in food.

Linseed oil, also known as flax seed oil or simply flax oil, is a clear to yellowish drying oil derived from the dried ripe seeds of the flax plant (Linum usitatissimum, Linaceae). It is obtained by pressing, followed by an optional stage of solvent extraction. Cold pressed oil obtained without solvent extraction is marketed as flaxseed oil.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much flax seed meal is recommended? [ 3 Answers ]

How much flax seed meal is good for me? I have been using 2 tablespoons full per day on salads, soups, drinks, etc. but I think I remember reading of a study where the users used 3 rounded tablespoons full compared to those who didn't. Would three rounded tablespoons be better? I am 59, 185 lbs....

For those that have used Pre Seed [ 3 Answers ]

I been trying to conceive for a couple months We just recently used Pre Seed last week. Now Im waiting to see if I successfully conceived I also been taking Fertilaid. My question is for those who used Pre Seed before. How long did you use it before you successfully conceived and were you taking...

Flax Oil Advice [ 8 Answers ]

Does anyone know if it is possible to take too much Flax Oil? I take 8 1,000mg capsules per day, and have never seen anything on whether you can overdose on this stuff, or if too much does damage. Thanks in advance for your advice!

Feeding ground flax seeds to my little dog.opinions? [ 11 Answers ]

I rescued a little dog (Pomeranian/Yorkshire Terrier mix) who has unfortunately has "eating disorders", but I have been working with her over the years, to find food that agrees with her - does not cause her digestive problems etc. As she sometimes has a hard stool, I have found that mixing just...

View more questions Search