Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    surgicalscrubgi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 08:41 PM
    Claiming a parent as a dependent
    Hi I have been taking care of my mother for a year and half, and the only income she received is her social security check for 610.00 a month which is more that what the say is the max (3500 yr) for me to claim her. Is here social security considered her earned income? Thanks for any input you can give me.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 10:59 PM

You can claim your parent as dependent (qualifying relative) if
    1. You provided more than half of their support that more than $610 plus other support provided by her, and
    2. the parent did not earn more than $3,500 in 2008. SS benefit is not income if she has no other income.
    It is not required that the parent live with you. Read about Qualifying Relative: : Your U.S. Tax Return: Requirements for claiming a dependent

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Write-off expenses for parent, dependent parent. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have seen questions similar to the one I am about to ask, but nobody seems to be in the same situation. My brother (27) and I (23) purchased a house for our mother to live in so that she can save money. She only makes about $12,000/yr. We would like to be able to get some sort of tax...

Claiming a dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Can you claim a child born Jan 1 2009 on your 2008 Tax Return as a dependent?

Claiming H4 as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am currently on a H1B. I have a few questions about claiming my spouse who is on a H4 as a dependent in my tax return: 1) We were married in 2007 but she came to US in Jan 2008 and her H4 also started in Jan 2008. Can I claim her as a dependent? 2) If answer to 1) is Yes. She...

Claiming parent as dependent [ 1 Answers ]

My mom and dad were visiting me here in the U.S. for over two months in 2007. And I spent over $30,000 in medical expenses (for diagnostic tests), not covered by insurance. Can I claim her as a dependent, and how could the healthcare spend be factored in, if at all? I am a U.S. citizen. ...

Claiming a dependent [ 7 Answers ]

I live in Ohio and am a lesbian with a fiancé whom I have been supporting for the last 8 months, can I claim her as a dependent? And if I am able to claim her as a dependent would I get more money back that way or if we filed separately? Domestic partnership is available for gays in toledo now do...

View more questions Search