Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2009, 08:17 PM
    Safe to change asset allocation of 401K funds?
    I'm wondering if now is a bad time to change my asset allocation. With the economy the way it is I'd like to be a bit more conservative with the funds going into my 401K. Also, If I change my allocation now does it effect the funds already in the 401K?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 11:24 AM

If you want to be more conservative, by all means make a change. Best advise is to pick an allocation of stocks, bonds and cash that you are comfortable with for the long term, and stick with it. That's how you buy low and sell high as the market moves through its swings. This assumes that you have a time horizen of ten years or more - if you know you will need the money sooner than that, you may want to be more conservative.

Talk to the plan administrator about how to make the change. You typically have to specify both how you want the existing account balances to be shifted, as well as how future investments should be allocated (the mixes do not need to be the same).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert my 401k to safe cash funds [ 2 Answers ]

I want to convert my 401k funds to cash or equivalent funds. I am 68 and feel the market is heading for real trouble.

401k funds [ 2 Answers ]

I need to cash out my 401k for to pay for emergency expeneces. What will this cost me

401K Allocation? [ 3 Answers ]

if you were 30 years old and your 401k offered these funds. How would you allocate? equity fund multimanager aggressive equity multimanager core bond multimanager high yield multimanager health care multimanager international equity multimanager large cap core multimanager large...

With draw 401K funds [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how do I request money from my 401k funds. I am behind on mortgage payments and I would like to pay off credit card debit.:( How do I write my request letter? Thank You.

View more questions Search