Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Knowing when dreams are symbolic or literal
    I was wondering how to tell when to take a dream literally and when to take it symbolically
    Or when it means both,
    Like the other night I dreamed that I was on a journey and I saw the exact mountains in the picture below,
    I was excited but upset saying to my son that I couldn't get to them because there are too many obstacles blocking the way here in Pennsylvania, I kept hearing Tetons and the next thing I knew I was standing right there in front of them.
    Then I saw a sand art of one buffalo, then one of an Indian, then one eagle.

When I woke up I was thinking I've heard of plateau's and things like that but I have never heard of mountains being called TETON's. I googled it and got pictures of the exact thing in my dream,

I had gone to a dream interpretation seminar a few days earlier and the speaker said that when your dream is in color it is a message from God. Usually I dream of one or two or a few objects in color but this dream was entirely color.

Symbolically I looked the things in this dream up and they mean the same thing as my dream of climbing the steps to a tree house and seeing blue, green, yellow and purple bottles. The dream interpretation speaker told me that that dream meant that God wants to raise me to a high spiritual position and I need to get connected with leaders

I have always wanted to move West BUT Southwest like Arizona, I was wondering if this dream may also mean that I may just end up going to Wyoming someday as well?

Thanks
    Attached Images

Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Feb 11, 2009, 04:51 PM

You can end up a lot worse places than the Grand Tetons. That's beautiful land up there. You know the wolves they reintroduced in Yellowstone are spreading through that range. Magnificent animals, unless you're a cattle or sheep rancher, I suppose.

I've been drawn for years to Central America, and as I've researched it more, there's a particular town in El Salvador at the foot of a volcano that I think may be the right place. I plan to go there, and all I can imagine I'll do is just show up, say to God, "Here I am. Now what?" and see what happens.

In your case, this seems like that would be wise. If the dream is meant to be interpreted literally, then when you get there, you will discover something interesting. You don't necessarily have to live there your whole life. I think it's fine to make a contract with Spirit to the effect of, "Ok, I'll go, I'll stay two weeks. If you want me to stay longer or do anything in particular while I'm there, you'll need to let me know that before the two weeks are up."

Personally, it sounds to me like the dream expert you met views everyone's dreams through her own agenda-goggles, but then don't we all? ;) That's not to say it's not a good interpretation, though. Maybe you are being called to spiritual work. Going to Wyoming or Montana isn't the point. Hearing the call and being willing to respond to it is the point. It's like God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. He didn't want Isaac's blood, he just wanted to see that Abraham was faithful. So no matter what the dream means, or even if it's just a random synapse bringing back something you saw five years ago in a dentist office travel magazine, you are still showing the Universe in a very powerful way that you are ready and willing to serve, ready and willing to live an extraordinary life. You make an offer like that to the Universe, the Universe will take you up on it.

Any dream can be literally true, and powerfully transform your life, if you choose to manifest it. Any time you take something you saw in a dream and bring it into your waking world, wacky hijinks ensue.

Re the treehouse dream, treehouses suggest stepping up above the normal level of life (Cf. the Tarot Hanged Man). They suggest the inner child, and the trickster (Bart Simpson spends a lot of time in his treehouse). In a child's imagination, a treehouse can become the deck of a pirate ship or an enchanted castle or the bridge of the starship Enterprise (if you were a wide-eyed geek kid like me growing up in the early seventies). The bottles remind me of a story about a blue bottle on Mars by Ray Bradbury, but generally I see the bottles as lots of potential gifts, potions, genies, all sorts of new possibilities to be opened, talents you can discover in yourself if you are willing to follow your inner child into that wild play place and risk a skinned knee or two.

If you decide to go to those mountains, by all means let us know the story of what happens. On the subject of timing, you can do that as a contract with Spirit, too. I told Spirit: "I plan to go to El Salvador when my kids graduate high school. If you want me to go sooner, fine, but you'll have to tell me in a way that I can't mistake, and make it obvious, because I can be dense sometimes." So far, I haven't gotten any indication Spirit wants me there sooner. Rather, Spirit has been putting the time to good use teaching me all kinds of intense life lessons (not to mention Spanish lessons) so I will be equipped for whatever I encounter when I get there.

Blessings on the journey!

Alder

P.S. I'm being a bit optimistic (naive) in saying God didn't really want Abraham to sacrifice Isaac. There are myths from all over the world that describe human sacrifice in the oldest version of the myth, but then have more recent versions in which there was some substitute (like the ram). Seems the later, more "civilized" tellers/writers did some editing so it could aire in prime time. For example, it was eithr Menelaus or Agamemnon who sacrificed his daughter so they could get favorable winds to sail to Troy, but there's a later version where she is magically rescued and goes on all kinds of interesting mythic adventures of her own.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2009, 05:06 PM

Thanks Alder it really did help a lot. I would love to go West and I have been 'telling God" that I want to do whatever pretty much wherever. I would love to get out of Pa. I feel maybe it is time but I don't want to move on my own whims or anything. I am hoping everything falls into place--right time, right place, etc...
    So far all my life 'bad luck' has been holding me back,, I figure that it has been because I need the learning experience first.
    I like what you said about the bottles being potential because that really fits into the interpretations of my dreams.

When I get laid off in May I plan to look up jobs and things on the internet on where to go in life from here. So now I will include Wyoming in my search.
    I know Pa is not where I am meant to be in the long run all it is is obstacles and dead ends.

I always believed God didn't want Abraham to really sacrifice Isaac either but that he wanted to see if he was willing to do whatever it took. I also believe Abraham probably trusted God enough to know that he would not lose his son either,
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Feb 12, 2009, 10:26 PM

In the final analysis, the meaning of a dream is the meaning you choose to give it. Choosing to believe dreams are meaningless is very unfun. Choosing to believe dreams are meaningful can make one's life meaningful, so long as one doesn't abrogate control to the messages one believes one is receiving in dreams. If you do go to those mountains, you name and claim yourself as a dreamer, you prove yourself to be a person who dares to follow your dreams. That's big.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dreams actually knowing what will happen in real life? [ 12 Answers ]

So the other day I had this dream. It was about my sister and she had fallen down the stairs and sprained her ankle, and had to go to the ER. Well when I woke up an hour or two later and I went downstairs my dad told me my sister fell down the stairs and broke her ankle and he had to go to the ER...

My boyfriend has literal holes in his skin.in a very awkward place. [ 7 Answers ]

I don't want to say how buy the other night my boyfriend found holes in the crack of his bottom. Awkward, I know. Anyway, my questions are what could have caused this? Should we be worried? The holes are about the size of the head of a pin, or the tip of a pencil. Please help! I think it's where...

The Biblical quotes, Literal or lesson? [ 25 Answers ]

I have a basic question about the Bible. I think that people will be divided about 50-50. How many Christians take the Bible as literal, As opposed to taking it as a guide for lessons of life? From all the stuff I have seen on the subject, it appears that this is actually debated among the...

Literal translation of the bible. [ 21 Answers ]

In reading the bible you can find SO MANY far fetched stories. What amazes me is that some Christians take this stuff as the LITERAL truth. Woman made from man's rib, Noah's ark, Daniel and the lions den, paleeeeezzzeee! I'm interested in the views of others.

Symbolic of all our moods or personalities [ 2 Answers ]

I had seen a picture possibly watercolor that was of a person holding probably 10 to 12 heads in their arms. My take on the picture was of all the different personalities or moods that we hold within ourselves. Can anyone give me a lead on the title or artist? Thanks

View more questions Search