Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Bread and butter pudding
    An old staple in my childhood days growing up in west Toronto, but my gran had a woodstove; quite different temp wise from what we use today. I am still using her old recipes which I adjust here and there. Her eggs were much bigger, milk much richer, etc.

My recipe is 2 cups milk, 2 eggs (basic custard stuff) 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup sugar, pinch salt. Mix well, set aside, butter slices of bread and tear up and put in pan. I don't count them I just eyeball. Bake until it turns into custard. Raisins are optional.

Does anyone want to share their variations of bread and butter pudding? I have just made one for after dinner !

Ms tickle the cook
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 02:11 AM

I do a chocolate brioch version do exactly the same as you would a normal b&b pud but butter brioch and then spread a really high qaulity chocolate spread on it and cover in the custard and bake in a ban-marie.
    Its also real good if you sprinkle extra chocolate drops on top hehehehe not for the calorie counting person though ;)
    Karle Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 28, 2009, 04:38 AM

I love bread & butter pudding :P
    I tend to put in a little ground mix spice in the custard mix. I also leave the custard a good half hour to soak into the bread.
    Also you can try using hot cross buns or fruit t cakes as the bread just as yummy!! :D
    KalenBR Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Hey you answered a question about my ps2 game but I really didn't understand it, care to explain?
    Expert

May 29, 2009, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KalenBR View Post
    Hey you answered a question bout my ps2 game but i really didnt understand it, care to explain?
    This is about cooking, not games.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Jun 1, 2009, 05:35 PM
    Tickle, I'm going to try your recipe this weekend and maybe add a little inspiration. It sounds so good and I hate raisins, so I never get to try it with out.

As long as the thread doesn't turn to smut, it might still be here this weekend. :)
    Thanks!
    Edit. So.. you put all the bread in the pan and then pour the other on top? I'm assuming since your gran had richer milk, you might be adding a little cream? And an extra egg?
    Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 02:47 AM

I use 2% milk, she would have used whole milk. You are basically making a custard mixture because that is the way it cooks with the bread. The thing is don't peak because the oven can't cool down while it is doing its thing, puffing up as in a soufflé. When it gets good and brown on top, it is usually done.

Glad you are trying it ! No, no extra egg.

Regards

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 2, 2009, 12:10 PM
    It took me a while to figure out what you meant by "peak" I was thinking it is supposed to peak at some time and when I was about to ask you, I got it "Peek" no peeking. :p (I have a window)
    Expert

Jun 2, 2009, 12:42 PM

Remind me sometime to give you recipe for 'no peek chicken'. Now figure that one out, LOL

I am so mean

Tick
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2009, 08:50 PM
    It was great! It sat for a while after dinner, but no one wanted to heat it up even a little, just scooped it up and said it was great. I added a little cinnamon and nutmeg, but just a touch and used equal parts wheat and potato bread and let it soak (because of wheat) for half an hour first.

Thank you!:D
    Expert

Jun 8, 2009, 03:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    It was great! It sat for a while after dinner, but no one wanted to heat it up even a little, just scooped it up and said it was great. I added a little cinnamon and nutmeg, but just a touch and used equal parts wheat and potato bread and let it soak (because of wheat) for half an hour first.

Thank you!:D
    I am glad it worked for you. Another good tip is when bread goes stale I put it in a plastic bag in the freezer and when I want B&B pudding I take it out and zap it in the microwave for a minute. Cinnamon and nutmeg always work well.

Tick
    lshadylady Posts: 73, Reputation: 6

Jul 1, 2009, 09:21 AM

With the chocolate version of bread pudding try pouring some chocolate liquer over the top.

Tickle: Do you use massage and juiced foods in your palliative care for some patients? SS

Jul 1, 2009, 10:19 AM

I make my own bread so the B&B Pudding has a coarser texture but everyone gets all excited when I start making it and I usually suddenly have unexpected company. Personally I like it made with the finer texture bread.

Also it is one of those four ingredient recipes I like so much. Here is another one that is a favorite.
    Baked Ricotta Cakes with Red Sauce
    Generous 1 C. ricotta cheese
    2 beaten egg whites
    4 T. scented honey, plus extra
    1 lb or 4 cups of red berries.
    Strawberries, raspberries, black berries, cherries

Break up the ricotta cheese with a wooden spoon. Fold in the egg white and honey, thoroughly.
    Lightly grease 4 ramekins
    Spoon in the cheese mixture, level with the top. Bake at 350 degrees until risen and golden, about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile cook the berries, Reserve 1/4 of them for decoration Just heat gently until the fruit is softened. Leave it to cool.

When cooled, press through a colander or sieve. I use an antique Foley food mill.

Sweeten with honey if it's too tart. And serve either warm or cold over the ricotta cakes. Decorate with the saved berries.

I found this recipe in my favorite cookbook, The Four Ingredient Cookbook, written by Joanna Farrow and published by Hermes House.
    Gunslinger69 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2009, 01:29 PM
    Oh Yummmm! I will try your recipie too as soon as I can get to the store for more milk. (30 miles to town) But now I am so curious about your "no peek chicken" Please! Can we have the recipie? I do have Chicken in the frezer... Maybe tomorrow...

Oct 22, 2009, 11:14 AM

About B&B pudding. I also like to use day old bread and when making the custard, make an uncooked egg-nog, adding just a little sweetner. I use splenda then sprinkle it with raw sugar when it is done, I love that testure.

Use a 325 oven and take it out as soon as the edges start to " set" when you shake to see if its done. Or just turn off the oven and walk away until you have a chaparone in the kitchen to prevent over tasteing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plum pudding --yes no joke [ 2 Answers ]

Yes , I'm really asking about plum pudding. I am planning on bringing back a dubious family christmas tradition that had been stopped when my grandmother died about 13 years ago. I have the recipe, but have a question about baking technique... I see I can buy a pudding mold, but do I just...

Looking for yorkshire pudding recipe [ 2 Answers ]

My grandmother and greatgrandmother were both from England, and yorkshire pudding was a specialty of theirs. However, there is no "recipe". It's just a little of this and some of that. I would love to make the yorkshire puddings for my own family - does anyone have any good recipes for this...

Pudding poops [ 10 Answers ]

My GSD pup heidi is now 4 1/2 months old and she has pudding poops. We took her to the vet and he has taken a couple samples of her stool and nothing shows up as being wrong so he gave me metronidazole to give her at 250mg 3x a day. My questions are is this safe? Does the dosage seem right? (Heidi...

Pudding pops? [ 13 Answers ]

OK I know this is silly, but humor me for a few minutes... I NEED to find pudding pops... you know those fancy little ice cream delicacies they used to serve as a treat in the cafeteria... the chocolaty/vanilla swirled goodness that melted in your mouth... Does anyone know where you can find...

Lemon layer pudding [ 2 Answers ]

I just had to share this with you guys ben bought lemons last week for no apparent reason and I couldn't think what to do with them until this afternoon when I was thinking about my nanna and what she would do and bam lemon layer pudding I'm drooling at the thought of it and will be making a batch...

View more questions Search