Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    philyours Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2006, 04:49 PM
    Drain Smell
    I Live In Queensland Australia & The home we are renting is only about 18 months old & has a bad smell in both bathrooms & the plumber just told us there is nothing he can do to fix the problem,Is this normal that the drains in new homes develop smells after a while?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 14, 2006, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by philyours
    I Live In Queensland Australia & The home we are renting is only about 18 months old & has a bad smell in both bathrooms & the plumber just told us there is nothing he can do to fix the problem,Is this normal that the drains in new homes develop smells after a while?
    Most bad smells from showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a gallon of bleach and pour half down each drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out esch drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out.
    Also, pull the lavatory stopper and look down the drain. About 4 inches down you'll se a small rod sticking out. Fish out any hair that's caught there. This should make your drains smell better. Regards, Tom
    philyours Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2006, 03:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Most bad smells from showers and lavatories come from rotting hair matted in with grease in the drain lines. Try this for the smell. Tonight before bedtine Take a gallon of bleach and pour half down each drain and let set over night. Next morning ,(and this is important) flust out esch drain with two large pans of boiling water to loosen the grease and flush the mess out.
    Also, pull the lavatory stopper and look down the drain. About 4 inches down you'll se a small rod sticking out. Fish out any hair that's caught there. This should make your drains smell better. Regards, Tom

Thanks Speedball 1 for your help.
    Philyours

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fowl Smell From Shower Drain [ 6 Answers ]

I read a discussion on this forum that occurred in 2005. Several people noted they had sewer like smell coming from a single shower drain. Speedball1 had several suggestions regarding cleaning out hair or other biological material from the drain. Some of the questioners tried all the suggestions...

Foul smell in kitchen drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have had a problem with a very bad odor in my kitchen sink drain since the weather got warm. My home is new and is a manufactured home in a park. I have used gel drain openers followed by boiling water and when that did not work I used a box of baking soda, 1cup of salt and 1 cup of vinegar, let...

Sewage smell on 2nd floor shower drain [ 12 Answers ]

I have a shower on the second floor that has a foul smell. I have tried to put everything recommended through the drain with no luck. Can you please give me some advise?

Basement Drain Smell When It Rains [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a house 2 years ago and have been very good about making sure the drains in the basement do not go dry. We add water every couple of weeks and have even added vegetable oil to prevent evaporation. We've also tried flushing bleach through it. Despite this, we get the bad P-trap smell....

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search