Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SirloinStk Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2009, 12:04 PM
    For aircraft mechanics
    1.> Are aircraft mechanics required to ride on an airplane after they repaired it? (answered by: FlyYakker and Flying Blue Eagle)

Next question:

Is it worth it to be an aircraft mechanic? The experience, the late night shifts, the benefits (would you prefer to change to another job? Or it's your passion and your going to stick to it) < if there is a similar post please send me a link. Thanks
    FlyYakker Posts: 378, Reputation: 41

Feb 10, 2009, 02:34 PM

No. Consider the dozens of mechanics for, say, an airliner. It would not be economically practical to put them all on the plane. Further, engines may be pulled off one plane, worked on, and shipped somewhere else for installation on another plane
    And, of course, there is the issue of single-seat planes.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 12:30 AM

SIRLOINSTK- THE above answers are very good, the only mech. That would ride a aircraft would be one that is a instrument or electrical mech .then only when the items can be evalueated in flight, a possible cause can be found on the problem in flight , OR the item can only be checked out durning flight;; Have a great day and GOD BLESS :: F.B.E.
    PS on the c123, c130 b-47 jet bomber this was done

Feb 15, 2009, 01:09 PM

Nobody in the aviation department knows the answer for #2?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 01:15 PM

You mean is it worth it? Depends where you are. I have an aircraft maintenance degree but starting salary is like 20,000 in Canada (while you're an apprentice) and 38,000 once you are done your apprenticeship.

I chose not to work in that field as I make more in my current job, international transport
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2009, 01:46 PM

It is a fairly good carrer if you like being a mechanic, no job is good unless you like it.

You have the mechanic that may be a one or two man shop at a small city airport, mechanics that work for a crop dusting company that may travel around with the crews.

Most I know work a regular shift and it is just a job
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2009, 10:43 PM

SIRloinSTK - I think both LOWTAX4eva ANDF FR_CHUCK gave a good answer,WHY?:: #1
    IF YOU REALLY LIKE THE JOB YOU ARE DOING ,THEN you are more apt to stay at that job ,Even if you could get a higher paying job some where you would not really like what you are doing::: #2 - FR_CHUCK HAS A GOOD POINT< AND THERE ARE A LOT OF FIXED BASE OPERATORS <AT AIRPORTS THAT Don't HAVE A MECH> ANY WHERE VERY CLOSE:: GOOD A ND SAFE (FLYING AND KEEP IT BETWEEN THE CLOUDS GOD BLESS ::F.B.E.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Feb 17, 2009, 06:53 AM
    It depends on the airlines policy - we are required to be on test flights after the airplane leaves heavy (c check) as an insurance policy for the flight crew and to diagnose any issues that may arise. Depending on the type of check, this check flight is required before it can get an airworthiness release and be put back into service.
    Sometimes we may ride to diagnose or ops check a discrepancy found during routine service of the airplane, but not that often as most ops checks and diagnosis can be performed/proven OK on the ground.
    dayslug24 Posts: 62, Reputation: 5

Feb 17, 2009, 07:17 AM
    I did not see answer 2 --
    I have found that if money is the only reason to be at a job, you will be miserable all the time. There is a middle ground that most people find to tolerate a job and still make enough to support themselves or family.
    I feel I am very fortunate because I love and take pride in what I do while earning a very comfortable living at the same time.
    I guess I am a nerd for aircraft, but It is all worth it for me. Yes, most mx goes on overnight, so 3rd shift is very common, as well as 36 hour "hero" shifts and road trips to exotic places, such as Chicago at 3am to change a tire outside in -20deg. Temps.
    When you are trusted to handle a 20million dollar jet and the safety of all who will travel on it, stress can begin to add up on you, but myself and those I work with still love our job.

Feb 17, 2009, 11:31 AM

Thank you dayslug24, Flying Blue Eagle, Fr_Chuck,Lowtax4eva in your opinion(s) to #2 :D

Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    in my current job, international transport
    : out of curiosity :: you may choose not to answer :
    What is your work in "international transport"?
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2009, 09:08 PM

DAY SLUG 24- ALL A/c pilots depend on you guys more then a lot of people realize;; I know youal don't get the THANKS THAT YOU DESDERVE, BUT from one you will, { I will give you the thanks that youal have comkeing]{THANKS} fior all that you do and more.THAT A LOT OF YOU GIVE MORE THEN WHAT IS REQUIRED::! I KNOW IN S.A.C. OH SO LONG AGO THAT A LOT OF THE MECH> STAYED OUT ON THE FLIGHT LINE IN ALL KINDS OF WEATHERFOR SEVERAL HOURS JUST TO MAKE SURE THAT THE A/C was ready and flight worthy,some went way beyond the call of duty;; When we had troubles that developed and could not be tested on the ground, then the crew chief would take sa ride with us to check it out in flight, BSACK then a lot of things couldn't be done on the ground. SOME TIME it was a INSTRUMENT MECH> OR ELECTRICSAL MECH :: IT DEPENDED ON WHAT IT WAS > I
    Ave bent your ear long enough, IM wondering on the A/C that crashed up in NEW YORK , they are sayng that it had 2 to 5 degrees of trim set in decend( NOSE DOWN ,plusthe ICE
    Youal have a good day and GOD BLESS:: F, B.E.;; EAGLE 1 OUT
    BRycraft Posts: 111, Reputation: 2

Apr 20, 2009, 09:04 AM

I worked International Line maintenance for a commercial airline in the U.S.
    I was fortunate to go work station relief in Paris France, Rome Italy & had to fly to Iceland to repair an Airbus that made an emergency landing in the middle of winter once. I also worked in fuel tanks when it was 20 below, worked in the pouring rain and blazing heat. I made great money, and best of all when I went home I didn't have to take the job with me. What I came into the next day there was always a new aircraft with something new waiting to be done. Great benefits, free flying, but rotating days off, holidays, weekends. I worked straight midnights but if you had rotating shifts and days off every month you could figure you would see days off and weekends at the same time roughly every 2 years, so there are upsides and downsides. Is it worth it that depends on each individual. Many mechanics work in the shops have regular hours as they don't work shift work, some work in the hanger and have a more relaxed atmosphere like regular lunches but do a lot more more work as far as sheet-metal repair and overhaul of the aircraft goes. You are more your own inspector as a line mechanic signing off your own work and the airworthiness of the aircraft as that lies in only 1 persons hand, so there is much more responsibility in that job. Can't really comment on general aviation, but there are corporate gigs out there for business owners, helicopter maintenance for hospitals and news organizations even the blimps have to be maintained by aviation mechanics and they usually travel with the aircraft. Just some insight on what my experience has brought me. Hope this helps you in your search.
    Good Luck... Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any have a you fly it aircraft carrier [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for pictures, info advert or the toy it self foam us enterprise aircraft carrier with jet you can launch and fly from late 70s

Aircraft pollution? [ 3 Answers ]

I live directly in line with a the main runway at an International airport and about 8 Km from it. We see a yellow substance on our cars and laundry. Could this be from pollution of the aircraft?

Aircraft emission [ 3 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

Aircraft emission [ 6 Answers ]

How and why are two lines of cloud formed by airoplanes. What type of airoplane engines cause this(is it is caused only by war planes or do commercial planes too emit this parallel clouds?

How to start an aircraft repair business [ 4 Answers ]

What are the steps I would need to take to start my own aircraft structures repair/maintenance business?

View more questions Search