Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cama120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:51 AM
    Got a Summons to court on the day I'll be away
    I got a summons to go to court on March 23 from Capital One due to my unpaid credit card. However, I am going to be away during that date. I don't want there to be a warrant out for my arrest and I want to deal with this problem. But I do have non-refundable tickets to be the maid of honor in a wedding. I also have been stalling to declare bankruptcy but I do indeed plan on doing that as soon as I can pay my lawyer the second installment of $750. What is the best way to handle this?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 11:02 AM

Not showing up will result in a Judgment being entered against you - not a warrant issued as this is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. You need to inform your attorney about the Capital One Summons and suit as he will have to incorporate this suit into your bankruptcy proceedings. Don't delay the bankruptcy filing as the Judgment could result in your wages being garnished or bank account being garnished. Your bankruptcy at this point in your life should not be postponed.
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Feb 12, 2009, 12:45 PM
    Depending upon what the summons is for you may be able to adjourn the hearing. In Ontario, where we practice, a summons is only issued against a defendant for certain types of enforcement proceedings that take place AFTER a judgment.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 03:59 PM

A warrant for your arrest will not be issued. A default judgement will however, but if you are filing for bankruptcy, that will handle the judgement.

Write a letter to the court and inform them of your intent to defend and inability to show on that date. It will most likely be rescheduled. You can probably call the court and they will tell you where to send the letter.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 04:04 PM

You may file with the court to have another date set for the hearing, Since they are getting a judgement soon, you need to pay and get that bankrutpcy filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Summons to Court [ 5 Answers ]

Deputy Sherriff delivered to me a summons 6/20/08 to appear in General Sessions Court 7/9/08. Papers were filed with the County Clerk 5/27/08 by a Lawfirm for CA, along with the summons was an Affidavit dated 3/17/08 stating I owe $16,897.50 From credit report: Status: Account charged...

Possible Court Summons. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All! I would like to first start by saying that I am aware of my debt and to whom I owe. I have a copy of all three credit reports as of January and my intention is to clear these up.. one at a time. I just received a phone call at my office and on my cell from someone saying he was...

Debt Court Summons -- If I pay in full, can I avoid court? [ 5 Answers ]

I realize a lot of people post questions regarding debt summons and I've scrolled through the boards but I haven't found a clear answer to a few of my queries. Here's what happened: I was today presented (they slid it under my door) with a summons to appear in court. I'm being sued by Capital One...

View more questions Search