Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wondering789 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 09:28 AM
    Ex boyfriend not paying a penny!
    I split up with my ex b/f 15 months ago when I found out he was cheating on me with my best friend. We had a mortgaged house together, yet 6 hours after I finished it with him he moved in with my EX best friend, which I don’t have a problem with. I too moved out of our house as I could not afford it alone.

I decorated the house and prepared it for sale. We agreed that he would take £8,000 (5 now and 3 when the house completed) to walk away because the house was in bad décor when we bought it and was worth more now.

He agreed and we signed a contract. He got his £5,000. No where in the agreement said that he didn’t need to carry on helping me pay the mortgage until the house was sold, only that he relinquished right to any further profit.

It’s now been 15 months and as the prices of houses drops further and further, the debt is stacking up. I have told him about the potential of the house being repossessed if he doesn’t help me and he is pleading poverty about his 1 month old baby and a g/f on maternity leave. So he is basically abandoning his old responsibilities for new ones.

Me, though, like a mug have been paying it for the last 15 months because I don’t want to be on a repossession register for 5 years.

Is there any way I can MAKE him pay (the companies chasing him doesn’t scare him) and maybe claim back half of the money for the last 15 months?

Please help!:(
    Justice Matters Posts: 210, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2009, 10:34 AM
    If your ex-boyfriend cannot or will not pay you may not be able to find a way to make him do otherwise. It would be nice if you could at least sue him after the house is sold for his share of the payments that you made on his behalf but this may not be successful either - it depends upon the contract and/or the laws of jurisdiction.

The contract you described is obviously not helping you in this matter since he received a large sum of money and all you received in the here-and-now is a large liability. Regrettably the deficiencies in the contract may be your downfall. It would have been much better if his entitlement to any monies or proceeds was conditional upon his continued payments up until the time the house was sold.

And without seeing the contract we wonder if he could possibly argue that your current predicament is largely of your own making by failing to list the house for sale at an appropriate price 15 months ago.

If the contract was drafted without the benefit of legal representation and/or drafted by your ex-boyfriend there may be some legal arguments that could be advanced to assist in your situation. If the two of you were in a common law relationship this could also be a consideration as could any applicable local laws. In any event, we strongly recommend that you consult with a lawyer to better explore what legal rights and remedies may be available to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What does application to accelerate mean, when my boyfriend is paying restitution [ 1 Answers ]

What does application to accelerate mean, my boyfriend is paying on restitution on a bogus check charge and has been put on 5 year deferred sentence and he pays on time each month.

Can girlfriend live with boyfriend when ex-wife is paying alimony? [ 6 Answers ]

This is in California.. maybe Cadillac59 is looking in! Does anyone know if an ex-wife must still pay alimony/support to her ex-husband (no minor children involved) if he now has a girlfriend living with him? They have put off marriage until the set time of payment from the ex-wife is exhausted....

Can my Room mate's boyfriend live in our shared apartment without paying? [ 5 Answers ]

I currently live in a two bedroom apartment in Ontario with my boyfriend (who pays rent and is on the lease) and my previous room mate of last year (who pays rent and is on the lease). However, my previous room mate has a boyfriend who has consistently been in our apartment (approx. 6 days a week...

Non-paying boyfriend needs to get out [ 13 Answers ]

COLOR="Red"]I really hope someone out there can respond to this question tonight. Tomorrow is going to be hell. Relevant parts in red (sorry I tend to build a clock if you were to ask me the time!) My husband of 15 years (no children) died unexpectedly shortly after relocating from the home in...

View more questions Search