Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    polarischick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2006, 11:39 AM
    Dell Laptop Computer
    I have a Dell Laptop Computer and some how I locked the keyboard, it won't work, none of the keys.. how do I unlock it?? Even though the internal mouse works.. just not the keys.Right now I'm on a different computer, if your wondering.. Please help me
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 12:54 PM
    Have you called dell support, or logged on the www.dell.com and used the online tech support.

I have a Inspiron and I have to use their tech support about every couple months.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 14, 2006, 11:58 AM
    Are certain the keyboard is plugged in correctly?
    I would unplug and reconnect it...
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 14, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Are any of the keys stuck down?

Does it do this when you reboot the machine e.g. can you press F2 or Del to go into setup?

Also are you familiar with the 2nd function keys on the laptop (usually defined in blue on the key) to access these you usually press a "Fn" button to activate the blue part. Maybe you activated a keyboard lock by accident. If you have the manual maybe check this or call dell support as previously mentioned.
    kestrelhaven Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2012, 05:14 PM
    See: http://support.ap.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pmac2cm/en/en_ug/keyboard.htm
    Dell_Kaushal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
    Hello
    My Name is Kaushal and I work for the Social Media and Community Team at Dell.
    It seems like an issue with the key combination which controls the functionality of the keyboard.
    1:-I would like to advise you to do complete power cycle of the computer, Please disconnect the charger and disconnect the battery and then press and hold down the on and off button for next 30 second and then install the battery and reconnect the charger and then check if the keyboard start functioning or not. Also please ensure that if there is any Flash drive or any hard drive connected, please disconnect them before you restart the computer.
    2:-Try to use the external keyboard with this laptop and then check if the external keyboard is working or not just to isolate it's not the issue with Keyboard.
    3:- There is key next to F12 and before "INSERT" that looks like Monitor with "X" on it, try to use that button and hopefully it will resolve your concern.

Thanks
    Dell Kaushal P
    Dell Social Media Responder
    Dell | Facebook
    http://twitter.com/#%21/dell
    Videos from Dell - YouTube

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop fan [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all I acidentally dropped my laptop a few days ago and consequently the LAPTOP monitor and the CPU cooler fan did not work anymore. I was able to resolve the LCD issue by reconnecting the cable back to the mother board.. However, I don't know how to diagnose the fan problem. I don't mind...

Problems with a Dell Inspiron 5000 Laptop [ 3 Answers ]

I recently tried to connect a Dell 540 photo printer to a Dell Inspiron 5000 computer running Windows XP Home. I got the laptop to recognize the printer but it would not print. I decded to disconnect the printer and uninstall the drivers. Soon my laptop began having problems at startup. It...

Weird Happenings on Dell Computer... [ 6 Answers ]

Hello: Is it possible for a "hacker" or anyone else for that matter to gain access to a computer if that computer has no access to the internet and is not on a network. It is just a stand alone computer. I have a friend who bought a new Dell a few months ago and states that her payroll program...

Dell laptop [ 6 Answers ]

Tried Several Things Need Help Trying To Connect Laptop To Landline Using Free Netzero I Have A Network And Modem Card All In One I Can Get It To Dial And When It Says You Are Loged On And It Verifies Password Then It Disconnects And Starts Redialing The Next Number...

Spyware/adware on dell wireless laptop? [ 4 Answers ]

I have win xp pro. My son bought a dell inspiron 1150 laptop (wireless). We hooked up the router to my desktop and cable modem. My question is, if my son gets spyware/adware on his computer, will that spyware/adware go on my desktop since we are hooked up to my cable modem? This might sound like a...

View more questions Search