Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JHovey12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 05:40 AM
    Caught Shoplifting
    I was caught shoplifting at the Bay about two months ago. When caught I admitted my guilt and was brought to the security room. Soon an officer arrived and I was arrested for shoplifting, but due to my admittance of guilt and it was my first transgression no charges were laid. A civil recovery letter is expected to arrive soon and I was wondering what is my rights on that? Do I have to pay? Can I be charged again? Will they sue if not paid?

Thank You and Regards
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 05:48 AM

Tell us (at least the country and state) where you are... that will help as there are many differences depending on where you are.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 05:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JHovey12 View Post
    A civil recovery letter is expected to arrive soon and i was wondering what is my rights on that? Do i have to pay?
    Hello J:

You stole from them once... Now you wonder what will happen if you do it again??

excon

Feb 10, 2009, 05:51 AM

Rick j... ontario, canada.

And excon, I have already decided no matter what I am giving money away whether to a charity or to the company (deal with my parents) and id prefer to give to a charity
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 05:58 AM
    id prefer to give to a charity
    Hello again, J:

I don't know. Are you MAD at the Bay? They're your victims. Why don't you think THEY should be paid back. Because they don't NEED the money??

They could have caused you much more trouble than they did.

excon

Feb 10, 2009, 06:04 AM

Comparatively to say for example starving kids in africa no they don't really need the money

I have already written letters of apology do not get me wrong I am not trying to escape this.. I did do something wrong... but I don't understand what they are charging me for... certaintly not the product which has probably already been resold by the company or the employees time... seeing as they are already there... I agree with punitive damages being part of the law but you look at the cases of $500 for a $20 item (as in my case) is absurd..
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 09:05 AM
    Hello again, J:

Couple things:

It's easy to rip off some impersonal store when you don't have to look your victim in the eyes. It's also easy to justify it because they don't need the money.

But, in fact, the big impersonal store is owned by people who are just like you and who probably DO need the money. So, all your letters, and all your apologies don't mean ANYTHING, unless you pay them back.

Oh, I know the letters and apologies mean something to the COPS, but they don't mean anything to you.

The next problem is deciphering how much is "paying them back", and "how much is extortion".

Here in the US, stores aren't allowed to "fine" you and expect to be paid far more than the item is worth. You're arrested, and punished by the COURTS - NOT the store, and if you have to pay them back, you pay them back the amount you stole.

In Canada, they do things differently. I don't LIKE the way they do it, because the store winds up ripping off the shoplifters waaaaay more than the shoplifters ripped off the store.

But, you're not prosecuted under that system, and you don't wind up with a record under that system. But, you DO get ripped off, in my opinion.

I think you think so too.

Earlier you said that you were awaiting the letter. Now you claim they want $500. Are you guessing?

The last thing is I really have no idea what the store can do if you don't pay. I certainly don't think they can have you arrested. Maybe they can sue you. If so, I can't believe a judge would make you pay back MORE than you stole either.

But, you canuks... I don't know.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2009, 10:50 AM
    comparatively to say for example starving kids in africa no they dont really need the money

i have already written letters of apology do not get me wrong i am not trying to escape this.. i did do something wrong... but i dont understand what they are charging me for... certaintly not the product which has probably already been resold by the company or the employees time... seeing as they are already there... i agree with punitive damages being part of the law but you look at the cases of $500 for a $20 item (as in my case) is absurd..
    Your comment about a charge of $500 for a $20 item is absurd. I find this most amusing. What do you consider "fair"? How about a few months in the can instead of $500?

For your second offense, I don't think you're going to skate with a fine but have to face some sort of for real punishment by the Courts. Canada has a swell first offender policy but not a "second offender policy". So pack your toothbrush!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

Advice needed me and wife caught shoplifting at a Retail store a month back LP took us to office and called police over the phone for record it was clean, they said we will be released after paperwork stuff was valued around $25 no police came on scene given a ban of 6 months from store also...

Caught shoplifting by accident [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, the other day I was grocery shopping and my head was so preoccupied with things in life that I walked right out of the grocery store without even paying, like a bone head. I was apprehended by the store security. Right away, I was shocked and said "i am so sorry I will pay for the groceries...

Shoplifting caught. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I feel terrible, I've never done anything like this before, I just got greedy and chose not to pay for some items that amounted to 47$ and now I'm banned from the store and I'm getting a summons. I just turned 18 and the person taking care of the incident told me that if I had gone over 50$...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search