Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jersey-joan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2006, 06:23 AM
    Is there a home remedy that can be used to dry up poison ivy quickly?
    Is there any home remedy that my son can use to dry up poison ivy
    Blisters quickly? It seems to be spreading.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 13, 2006, 07:07 AM
    Best thing to do is #1 DO NOT SCRATCH.

The other, isn't a home remedy, but my daughter (12) is using it right now for poison ivy is Calamine Lotion. Just dab it on and it stops itching and dries it up. Very inexpensive and does not have to be taken orally.

You may try a making a paste with baking soda, but the calamine works faster.
    dmatos Posts: 204, Reputation: 26

Aug 13, 2006, 07:20 PM
    You could also try the oatmeal bath method to try to reduce the itching. And no, I'm not suggesting that just because the image of someone swimming in breakfast is funny to me :)
    pistal Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2006, 11:46 PM
    I heard pure aloe Vera works wonders drys it up real fast
    taramtly Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Nov 18, 2008, 12:24 PM

I have found that using Lye soap helps healit up really fast and stops a lot of the itching.It's hard to find though.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2008, 05:53 PM

You can make a paste out of ordinary table salt and leave on the poison ivy for about 20 minutes. It dried up my poison sumac this summer in a flash. Kept me from itching, too.
    Spirit1966 Posts: 25, Reputation: 3

Jul 11, 2009, 07:36 PM

I used to get poison every year about twice a year during the summer. I have been to dermatologist and have tried many over the counter products. They all took a while to go away. I found that swimming in a pool dried it up very quickly. In fact within the day it would start drying up. Seems the chlorine dried it up. I read it in the internet because it would drive me crazy and couldn't even get a goodnight sleep. I was so desperate but this really worked for me.
    2labsmom Posts: 40, Reputation: 9

Sep 18, 2009, 11:09 PM

I had poison ivy for almost 6 months a couple years ago. It lasted so long because the gooy stuff in the bumps(resin) kept getting on my clothes, sheets, towels, etc.. To keep it from syaying in fabrics wash all laundry that has been in contact with the skin in color safe bleach. It helped to clear it up for me. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parent quickly dying [ 8 Answers ]

My mom was diagnosed last October 29 2004 with pancreatic cancer, she died dec 23 2004. We knew that it was terminal but had no idea how fast she would go. We never had a great relationship but I did love her and no matter when I needed her she was there. Here and my dad had just celebrated their...

Disease makes children appear to age quickly [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to find the name of a disease that makes children appear to age very quickly.. Any information anyone can give me will be very helpful. I saw this on a talk show years ago but cannot think of what it was. Children around the ages of 8-10 looked like they were small senior...

Home Remedy For Cat Diareha [ 1 Answers ]

Is There Any Remedy For This Situation That You Can Make At Home... she Has Had This Since We Left Her At A Caretakers For 9 Days. Thaks

So disappointed about the remedy [ 11 Answers ]

Hi every one This is a 21 years old guy . Unfortunatelly I got some hair loss since the spring began. Although I got some very bushy hair ; it is going to be a kind of mental problem for me so that it is almost leting me down and lossing myself confidence. Even I can see some parts of my head...

Please help quickly [ 4 Answers ]

Hi my name is Laura Hall, and I was born on the 21st of febraury and I need to no my future because I have been told I don't have a good life ahead please help. Laura

View more questions Search