Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    colie298 Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 10:33 AM

Everything depends on you. Your pain tolerance how well you take care of it. It does hurt not getting it done but after words it does. I had mine done but the piercer put the smallest bar bell in so I had no room for my tongue to swell up which caused more pain for me.
    Shortie92 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2010, 11:48 AM
    Can you taste the metal in your mouth?- No it just feels strange having it there for a little while

Does it hurt when you eat something salty?- It hurts eating things in general, try to drink soup or mashed potatoes with gravy as its easy to swallow

Does it hurt when you pierce it at all?- I only felt it when the needle went through the top of my tongue, its more uncomfortable when the bar is inserted

If so, for how long after?- Ive had mine done for 3 days now, it is still a bit painful but its getting better and the swelling is beginning to go down

Does it really make it hard to speak?- I am finding it difficult to speak without it being painful but I have to answer phones at work and be clear so I'm straining it a lot more.

What criticism do you get from it? Do people say your showing off, or are emo or anything?- no I haven't really had any criticism about it, some people like it, some people don't but its how you feel about it that matters so go for it :)
    TrayRenee Posts: 14, Reputation: -4

Jan 28, 2010, 12:21 AM

I wanted my tongue pierced for the longest & was scared to go thro with it because of most of your same question - Finally I just gathered up the courage & said F it ! Now time like the present. I believe it was worth it.

Can you taste the metal in your mouth?
    I could taste the metal for about the first hour, This is only because the surgical steel is fresh & sanitized before given to the tatt studio.

Does it hurt when you eat something salty?
    I must say I never had any real problems with salt after having it piercing, Although pepper, garlic, and hott sauce are a definite no-no for the first week or so.

Does it hurt when you pierce it at all?
    I will not lie to you, Pain varies for everyone. Everyone has a different pain threshold so it is nearly impossible to tell you just how it will feel. In my personal experience I have a rather high pain tolerance, The only part of the actual piercing process that put me in any discomfort was when they clamp your tongue to hold it still as they put the needle thro, I did watch the process & could feel the needle go all the way thro my tongue but at no point in time during the piercing process did it hurt. Afterwards however is different, Mild discomfort is expected for up to a week after you get it pierced. I found sucking on ice helped keep the swelling down and also keep it parcially numb to decrease the pain. A mild pain reliever such as motrin does wonders.

If so, for how long after?
    Mine began to hurt as soon as it began swelling, Everyone's rate of swelling is also different. Mine began swelling the nxt day & brought along a mild pain. Nothing too horrible though. It is bareable & only last for about 4 or 5 days.

Does it really make it hard to speak?
    At first you may have a small lisp, But as you become use to having it in you will almost forget that it is there after about 1 or 2 months & the lisp should subside within about 2 weeks if not less.

As for people & their comments, Pfff - Forget them :) It is your body, Your piercings, Your money - Do with it what you will - JUST TAKE CARE OF IT !

As for the down sides ? Yes, There are several. I am by NO MEANS trying to talk you out of a tongue piercing but I feel before you make a decision about putting a permanate hole in your body you should know ALL of the possibilities -
    1. While having a tongue ring can be entertaining in times of boredum weither it be biting it or clicking it against your teeth as I often find myself doing it is veryy hazardous to your teeth & it is veryy common for people with tongue rings to have chipped teeth. ( DO
    TrayRenee Posts: 14, Reputation: -4

Jan 28, 2010, 12:26 AM

(DO NOT PLAY WITH IT THE FIRST WEEK YOU HAVE IT, IT WILL INCREASE PAIN, HEALING TIME, & ADD SWELLING)
    2.When you go in to get your tongue pierced you will have to sign a waver, I do admit this is probably the scariest part of getting your tongue pierced because you are literally putting your life in their hands.. .
    When getting a tongue ring.. .
    -Your body can reject the new hole.
    -If swelling is too rapid it can swell to point of closing throat & blocking airways.
    -You can swollow your tongue, Weird I know - But possible.
    -They can hit the main vain going through your tongue while piercing & this will cause you to bleed to death, that is why it is VITAL you follow the instructions they give you.

These are the only downsides I have found while having a tongue ring other then occasionally biting it while you eat - Very painful for your teeth.
    Other then this all I can say is once you get it pierced for the FIRST THREE WEEKS every time you EAT, DRINK, SMOKE, etc. rinse with LISTERINE ANTISEPTIC MOUTHWASH - worth the buy & if you do not HIGH CHANCE OF INFECTION - Tongue is the WORST thing on your body that could get infected.

Hope I have helped & shown you both sides of the case.
    JoNo Mat3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2010, 08:39 AM

You won't taste the metal it will just be anoing for a week or 2 but you need to get used to it. It will hurt a little bit a meen you are getting a needle put thro your tongue but its not that bad. A wouldn't eat anything that you have to chew a lot because the bar just gts in the way. Your tongue will swell up but after a few days it'll go down probs 4 or 5.

Your advised to clean it after every time you eat or smoke

And you shouldn't care what other people think, if you wnt to pierce it go for it

Good luck :)
    ludwigamy31 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2010, 02:44 PM

No you can't taste the mental they use a special metal for this for that purpose. It hurts for about 1 week, but it takes about 3 weeks for the swelling to go down. Advil, and the antiseptic , are you're best friends keep them both with you at all times.
    missnita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 12:21 PM
    I've had my piercing about two weeks I just changed from I'm long bar to a short one I love it I can't taste any metal I don't play with it a lot and the way I talk nobody knows I have it
    JGBAYBii32907 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 10:32 AM
    I got my tongue pierced about 6 weeks ago. I haven't changed the bar yet, but I'm thinking about doing that soon. When I got it done it didn't hurt at all. It's just a little pinch when the needle gos through. Mine swelled a little bit but it didn't really hurt and it wasn't swelled to the point to where I couldn't talk it just sounded like I had spit in my mouth.. lol.. I didn't taste any metal, and I haven't at all. Honestly I love it, I love playing with it and so does my boyfriend. Lmao So I say if you want it done go get it you don't have a ting to worry about. Ohh yeaahh as far as eating gos, I ate pizza the night I got mine done, and pork chops the next day, it didn't hurt.. was just a little hard.. just be careful you don't bite on your bar, that hurts!
    Younq Drama x5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Heyy (:

I just got my piercing 2 days ago & I hope my answers & advice will help you -

Can you taste the metal in your mouth?
    - No you can't taste the metal ; its like eatinq with a spoon or fork NO TASTE :]

Does it hurt when you eat something salty?
    - No it doesn't hurt when you eat something salty BUT wash your mouth out after every little thing you eat!

Does it hurt when you pierce it at all?
    - It didn't hurt to get my tongue pierced. People say it hurts so much but I didn't feel a thing & it took the guy to do it in 1 min.

If so, for how long after?
    - it usually takes about a week. Mine isn't swollen & doesn't hurt at all.

Does it really make it hard to speak?
    - NO. its just a state of mind, you can speak fine.

What criticism do you get from it? Do people say your showing off, or are emo or anything?
    - SCREW WHAT PEOPLE THINK ; but if you're the type to impress then that's a personal prob & you'd just have to get over it
    TheWelshFrankie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2010, 06:09 AM
    I just got it done today, and I must say that it didn't hurt when I had it don't but the healingm is horrible! Im hating it atm!! Drink plenty of water! (:
    tric123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2010, 01:03 PM
    I'm thinking of getting my tongue peirced in too days and I've been searching all the websites but I'm only 14 but my 2 mates got there's done 1 got it last week and another 8 mounths ago the one that got it done last week took it out cuse she bent it when she tried to eat whole food but I don't no what do shall I or what? Will it hurt?
    kandiiee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 12:28 AM
    y to brake the no news to u guyes but it really does hurt... I am 17 and a female,, and it hurt hella everybody told me my nose was ganna hurt the most well they lied... I got mine done today and it hurts my nose didn't hurt that bad though but I regret my tongue in a way but its all good though I'm living with it... I kindof like it execept I knt eat nothing
    but good luck tho=]

my opinion everyone's diffret
    cheekybaby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2011, 03:35 AM
    I'm 14 and I have my bellie pierced and I've had that done for nearly a year now but I've been pestering my mum for the past couple of months or so to letting me have my tongue pierced but when I was 12 I chipped my front tooth by swinging around on these bars and then I went to the dentist to get it filled, but with the previous comments am scared of getting my tongue pierced in case I chip my tooth again and do you think if I get it pierced the minute I have the bar in my mouth it will chip my tooth?
    Rosiie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 11:43 AM
    I want to get my tongue pierced but I'm so scared that it will hurt! I mean look at how fat the tongue is surely that hurts a lot,right?
    BrookePaigeLove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Okay I got my tongue pierced a few days ago . One , you can't taste metal in your mouth . Lol , but some people tell me your breath can start smelling like you've been sucking on quarters ? I don't know , hasn't happened to me yet .

You're not supposed to eat salty foods but if you do , use mouthwash straight afterwards . But if your tongue is like mine , you won't be able to eat any solid foods right now anyway .

Mines still really swollen so some people say after around 4 days it stops swelling , some say for two weeks , I guess it just depends . But mine is really swollen .

It doesn't hurt honestly when it's pierced , it hurt less than any of my other piercings except my ear lobe piercings and I have 12 piercings . The after healing process SUCKS though . I'm going though it right now .

I talk pretty normal even though my tongues swollen so I think it's just a state of mind . Some times you can tell but that is just because my tongue is huge .

Just make sure you use mouthwash after anything goes in your mouth .

And some people say if you have a tongue ring you give better 'head' but I mean , who cares what people think of you . People are going to judge anything you do so make sure if you like something , do it without worrying about others . (:
    rashondaford123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2012, 03:38 PM
    I just got my tongue pierced yesterday and it hurted soooo damn bad... I took it out because I couldn't eat anything w/o it hurting and I love my food... I always wanted it done but now that I know how it feels its REALLY NOT worth it !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Self-piercing [ 18 Answers ]

Within the last year I have pierced a second hole in each of my ears 3 separate times, each time purposefully letting them heal. I have also pierced my belly button twice and let it heal as well. I make sure to sterilize everything, and I've never had any problems with infections or anything like...

Tongue Twister [ 4 Answers ]

If a bra is an upper topper titty flopper stopper, And a jock strap is a lower decker pecker checker, And a roll of toilet tissue is a super duper doody pooper scooper, What do you call a Japanese drummer boy whose father has diarrhea?

Black spots on tongue [ 6 Answers ]

I have black splotchy spots on my tongue. There is no swelling, pain or sensitivity. What causes this?

Black spot on tongue of 8 month old [ 5 Answers ]

My 8 month old daughter has a black spot on the end of her tongue.. does anyone know what this could be caused by? She is currently fighting a cold... could this be associated with the spot?

Black spots on tongue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've noticed that my cairn terrier has developed 2 black spots on the back of her tongue. She's 7 months old and in general good health with no signs of distress. Is this normal or should I take her to the vet? Many thanks

View more questions Search