Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 04:23 PM
    Getting a new ferret.
    Hello,
    I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was wondering if they could be together under STRICT supervision or should I not even try?
    ... So if someone can tell me the basic needs?
    What size of cage?(it will be in it at night and then 5 hours a day)
    Roughly how much vet bills will be?
    And how to introduce it to the other pets?
    ... I know a lot of questions! But I want to know everything before I actually go out and get one:)
    Thanks!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 05:12 PM

Mmm, okay, rabbits and ferrets don't match. Ferrets are their natural enemy and you wouldn't want to see how ferrets finish them off. Sorry, but that is necessary to know if you have a rabbit. STRICT doesn't matter with these two.

I love ferrets too, but if you are only l4, then get a cat. They are much more fun and really get along well with rabbits. And, quite frankly, there is less mess to cleanup.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:02 PM

OK well sorry if this makes me sounds rude but...
    I've had many cat's and I just find them plan boring.
    I know I can handle a ferret. I've raised a dog on my own, and she has turned out just fine. I also didn't ask if I should get one or not...
    Sorry to sound rude I just couldn't put it in other form...
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 9, 2009, 06:03 PM

Ferrets are very fun creatures, but they take A LOT of work. They have a natural odor, even descented, and you will need to clean the cage often, at least daily if not more. They aren't cage pets like hamsters and need hours every day to roam around and play. Buying a ferret is also very expensive. Just the ferret ranges in average from $120-200 dollars. A cage for a ferret will probably cost you $50-60. Then you have to consider food, toys, a ferret litter box if you would want to train it, and trust me, you would. Right now you would honestly be much better off getting a cat. A cat would not require nearly as much time and care, and litter box training with most cats is instinctual.

Feb 9, 2009, 06:06 PM
    OK well sorry if this makes me sounds rude but...
    I've had many cat's and I just find them plan boring.
    I know I can handle a ferret. I've raised a dog on my own, and she has turned out just fine. I also didn't ask if I should get one or not...
    Sorry to sound rude I just couldn't put it in other form...
    Working at a pet store, I dealt with ferrets every day. They are very high maintenance pets. Owning a ferret is not like owning a dog.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:08 PM

Price does not really matter. And it won't only be me taking care of it... my mom will also be helping.
    And cleaning it would not be a problem since I clean my rabbit daily anyway.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:12 PM

I had a tenant who owns ferrets. These were not descented. She allowed them out of their cage most of the day while she was at work. (She had told me she wouldn't do that.) The ferrets tore up the bedroom, and I had to replace the carpet and some of the furniture and also resand the floor after she moved out. Yes, ferrets are not only high maintenance but also can be destructive just because they are ferrets.

Feb 9, 2009, 06:13 PM

Just make sure you are truly prepared to own a ferret. Far too many people bought ferrets and then they didn't feel like taking care of it anymore, or their kids wouldn't, yada yada and they always called the store wanting to sell it back or give it away. Someone I know had to save a ferret from her aunt flushing it down the toilet because she got it for her cousins, who got tired of it and the aunt didn't feel like dealing with its stink. Do plenty or research on them first to truly know what to expect and what you are really getting into. They are fun to have around. I do like them, but they are too high maintenance for me.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:14 PM

I have done some research, and I have until march to learn as much as I can...
    But if anyone can answer the questions I posted it would be appreciated:)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 06:31 PM

I haven't researched it yet, but am guessing ferrets should not interact (be put together with) with other pets.

From peteducation.com --
    "Ferrets like to tease other animals by nipping at their feet or tails, or running underneath them and grabbing them by the neck or belly and hanging on."
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 06:34 PM

Well on some site's I read that they get along with dogs, but my dogs are very large and that won't be happening... we also have a smaller dog which they might be able to *visit* if they get along while both being held. But I don't have it yet. And I am looking for what I'm going to need, so I can be prepared BEFORE I get him.

Feb 9, 2009, 07:17 PM

I've known people who have had cats and ferrets get along okay, but the ferrets did tend to harass the cats playfully from time to time, but otherwise they aren't really good to mix with others. They can be seen as prey by dogs, and view others as prey. I'm not sure how much a vet bill would cost for a ferret. If you get a ferret make sure it is a Marshall ferret. They come descented and spayed or neutered already, and they come with a health warranty. A ferret will need an adequately sized cage. Te ones we usually kept them in in the store were about four feet long, two feet wide, and two feet tall. Slightly smaller might not hurt if it had plenty of roam time, but you don't want to go small.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 07:20 PM

Ihave a cage for my rabbit and it is 3ft by 2ft, and I was planning and getting one similiar(the one I am probably going to get has a ramp and a little tunnel in it)
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 07:24 PM
    Its similuar to this one:
    http://www.ferret.com/ProdImages/P47504.jpg

Feb 10, 2009, 01:23 PM

That seems like an okay cage for a ferret, as long as you don't forget to let the ferret out for at least 4 hours a day, and always remember to keep an eye on him/her. They are very curios animals with a knack for trouble. They can squeeze into tight spaces- if their heads can fit their bodies can usually follow, they can chew on ans swallow a wide variety of things like foam, erasers, and rubber squeaky toys, they can chew on electric cords, they usually like shiny objects and have a tendency to enjoy stealing keys and other such fun things. You may discover your ferret has collected a horde of random objects in some remote place. Also until your ferret in consistently going to the litter box, watch your corners!! When we look at a room we see 4 corners, when a ferret sees a room, its sees tons of them, like where the dresser meets the wall for example, or perhaps the inside corner of the bookshelf, so if you see the ferret backing up to a corner of any sort, be aware of what is likely about to follow.
    Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 02:49 PM

Silverfoxkit is right on about ferrets. During the 40s when it was legal to use them for hunting, my dad kept them. One in particular was a pet of his. When assembling hunting equipment, he would carry it in a leather pouch attached to his belt, Head sticking out (that is all the ferret could get out, and that's the way my dad wanted it !). He would sit in his chair and take the ferret out. It would crawl through his sleeve, up his shoulder and come out beside my dad's head. We all had a healthy respect for that ferret because it had bitten mom in the ankle when she was carrying me.

My memories are of a lovely looking little animal, but beady eyes and Disney is right when he portrays them as sneaky, conniving, hiding, stealing.

There used to be a an old fellow in town who walked his on a lead in the park every day.

Ms tickle's memories

Feb 10, 2009, 03:29 PM

Also, you might want to check up on local and state ferret laws. It is illegal to own them in some places.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 04:32 PM

Yes. It is legal to own them here. It is just not legal to let them free.
    Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily94 View Post
    yes. it is legal to own them here. it is just not legal to let them free.
    You have just been told they are an accident waiting to happen in many posts. They are unpredictable and positifvely sneaky. How can you be sure that you can keep the ferret caged AND IN THE HOUSE? That is the big question. You asked, so make a decision and let us know. Trust me, you will NOT BE ABLE to find this animal if it ever gets out of the cage. They are that subversive.

It is illegal to let them free because of their nature. They are basically mammals that eat other animals, they are carnivores. Is that clear. I don't care what kind of food they sell you in the pet store; it is not what they eat. They are not like dogs or cats. They can't do without meat.

Feb 10, 2009, 04:47 PM

You must be very careful with doors, windows, around dryers, and any other holes you may have that lead outside. Once a ferret has escaped to the great outdoors then you are unlikely to find it again. A ferret harness with a bell might help keep track of it around the house, and it would be better to limit it to reserved areas instead of letting it have full house range.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does a 13 year old girl and a ferret mix [ 27 Answers ]

Hi :) I just wanted to know if I should get a ferret. I am 13 love animals,and saw a ferret acouple of years ago and have wanted one ever since. So do you think a ferret is a ferret a good pet for me or do you think I should not get one?:cool:

Timing how long a Ferret is in the room [ 3 Answers ]

I have 3 Ferrets. They are cute and playful. I have noticed though between the three of them the poop on the average every 15 minutes. If my wife puts them in a room to play I can tell how long they have been there by the number of poops. Their poops are not out of the ordinary or 'sickly' looking....

What are some symptoms of a pregnant ferret? [ 10 Answers ]

I have 2 males and 1 female. I do not know if they are fixed, but one of the males has been trying to get frisky with my female. She has been acting weird and nipping a lot. She is not as friendly and generally keeps to herself. This is not her usual personality. Could she be pregnant? What are the...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search