Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    estefania Posts: 90, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Vegetarian food
    I heard that vegetarians could not eat jello. Jello is only made up of sugar and water. Is this a lie? If not why can they not eat that type of food? :confused:
    salamander5 Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2009, 02:26 PM

Jello contains 'gelatin' which is a fancy name for collagen. So I guess why jello is not considered vegetarian is because collagen is a structured protein that is obtained from animals skin, bones, and tendons. The gelatin in Jello comes from the collagen in cow or pig bones, hooves, and connective tissues.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2009, 02:26 PM

Jello... is made from gelatine, which means it is made from animal products , this violates vegans or vegatarians

Feb 9, 2009, 07:01 PM

Thank you so much! I never knew that.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2009, 03:37 AM

You can buy jello/jelly that is made without the geletine.
    Vegan Store: Jelly Crystals
    Look at the packets I know here in the uk if it is vegan/veggie safe it has a little symbal of a leaf in a circle to say its safe.

http://www.ivu.org/faq/gelatine.html this also explains it all.

Feb 11, 2009, 10:43 AM

Thank you!
    forevalove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2011, 06:02 AM
    Thank you so much here I am on my vegetarian diet and eating jello and all along its not been good for me. This really blow. But know I know better. Thanks Google answers

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Becoming a Vegetarian [ 3 Answers ]

I'm thinking of becoming a vegetarian and I have been eating meat for all of my life until now . If I stop eating meat all of the sudden will I get sick or something and are than any tips or special guidelines to follow while being a vegetarian?

Vegetarian top ramen! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I've been a vegetarian for about a year now, and one of the things I miss the most is chicken top ramen! I've been getting my top ramen fix be eating oriental flavor, until I realized a few months ago that it's not vegetarian like I once thought! Sooo I was wondering if anyone knew of...

Going back to vegetarian [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all I was vege last year, but took no suppliments for the loss of proteins etc that I was not getting from meat, but after a year of losing weight, for which I thought was normal, I was taken to hospital in an ambulance after fainting. This was a worry to me, and I was told that due to my...

Is wine vegetarian? [ 3 Answers ]

Is wine vegetarian? I've never thought about it before but someone asked me today and now it's bugging me not knowing... :confused:

Vegetarian [ 10 Answers ]

My problem is I'm a vegetarian. I want to be, and I am. Too bad my parents won't accept that. I don't eat meat. And I have absoutley no problem when other people do. I just don't like it. I've only reciently confronted my parents about my non meat eating choices. And they've gone balistic. My...

View more questions Search