Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DCcityboy Posts: 648, Reputation: 27

Mar 5, 2009, 12:01 PM

Does he have a criminal record? If he does not, I think range of legal fees for a K-3, IV consular processing and AOS would be $2000 to $5000. If you need a waiver, add $2500 to $5000 depending on the nature of the conviction, etc.
    ninahhhdreams Posts: 54, Reputation: 0

Mar 5, 2009, 05:15 PM

I really don't think there is a record because he would know he would not be allowed to leave the country. They are going to delve into both our backgrounds, I'm sure!

I have told him over and over, if all he wanted was just to come to the US, I would help him to achieve that status, just don't try to deceive me. What if, this is just a long shot though, I am deceived anyway and he, heaven forbid, runs off with someone from here or even someone from DR, what recourse is there then? Do people who do that get in the country and flee? That would be risky! Again, I ask questions about the what if's(someone previously asked me why was I speaking as if things could go wrong, but in every decision you make informed choices) because I just need to know every side of the coin). I mean, really, things go wrong even among people of the same country, when not careful... thanks!!

Mar 5, 2009, 05:18 PM

Oh and how long will I need to be down there to get paperwork in progress. I heard someone say he's not coming back with me. Oh really? Does he have to wait, or something before he can come back with me. If so, how soon could he come?

Mar 5, 2009, 05:44 PM

If you are married you would file for a K-3 visa for him. After the visa is issued, he enters the US and he then files for permanent residence.

If you are engaged, then the K-1 visa. File the I-130, then K-1, after the visa issued, he enters the US, you marry within 90 days and then he files for permanent residence.

If you really think he may be using you to enter the US, then you should not get married yet. At the most, file the K-1 and you have 90 days at least to decide to marry or not here in the US. Please note, that if he is here on a K-1 he cannot get permanent any way other than through your petition.

I hope all works out for you.

Mar 5, 2009, 08:40 PM

OK so it seems, I file the I-129F petition here and he files the K-1?

If I will be there June 4 for a few weeks, shouldn't we be getting the paperwork started now?

Also, we have communicated via phone, email, im's for nearly two years but have never had a face to face, will this keep us from actually being able to go forward?

Mar 5, 2009, 08:56 PM

A requirement of the K-1 visa is that you have physically met in the past 2 years. If you haven't, don't file. It will not be approved except in very limited circumstances (cultural or religious).

Meet, document it, file the I-129F, get the approval, then he will use that to file for the K-1 visa.

Mar 5, 2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks! Will let you know this summer how things go and most likely hit you up for more advice. Thanks for being there!! Cheers!
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2009, 03:22 AM

Keep in mind, it will take quite a bit of time from when you file before he would be able to actually move to the country as each step along the way will need to be approved.

For me it took several months and that was doing it on our own, with things going very smoothly. These days there is even more red tape, so it can be longer.

K Visa FAQ (Marriage Based Immigration) - VisaJourney.com

Mar 6, 2009, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Keep in mind, it will take quite a bit of time from when you file before he would be able to actually move to the country as each step along the way will need to be approved.

For me it took several months and that was doing it on our own, with things going very smoothly. These days there is even more red tape, so it can be longer.

K Visa FAQ (Marriage Based Immigration) - VisaJourney.com
    Thank you. Link very detailed compared to the ton of websites I went to last night. Everything helps! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax on remuneration in a foreign country [ 1 Answers ]

Iam a government doctor employed in a teaching hospital in lucknow from where I draw my salary. Presently, I have been invited by a university in France as a teaching researcher on contract for conducting some research work for a period of 4 months. During this period I will receive salary in india...

US Employer in A foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you in advance for responding to my 2 questions. Currently I am living and employed by a US firm in UAE the company which is currently withholding taxes I have not worked for my employer in the states only in UAE. Does the company have to withhold taxes? Also, the company just recently...

Primary Residence in Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

If your primary residence is outside the United States (Sweden), and you pay U.S. income taxes, is the interest on the mortgage deductible? Seaman in internaltion waters.

Inheritance From Foreign Country [ 1 Answers ]

Long, lost family member died in 2002 in Malaysia. I am sole surviving heir. After paying for services rendered in Malaysia for transferring the estate to me, my net gain expected to be $1.4MM. Since only $1MM is excluded from inheritance or income taxes on deaths occurring in 2002, what...

View more questions Search