Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andyrose Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2006, 06:31 PM
    Selling rare US coins on eBay
    I've attended trade shows, visited coin dealers, done all of my due diligence, but have been unable to come up with a reliable source for wholesale rare US coins to sell on eBay. I prefer to sell PCGS or NGC certified rare coins, as those bring in the most money. Does anyone know who I can contact that would be willing to wholesale these coins to me.

Also, there are many training courses available on eBay selling, each claiming to make the buyer of the course rich. I've struggled with selling on eBay for years, sometimes putting in 15 hours a day. I've yet to find a course that will teach me the ins and outs of selling in a way that makes it profitable for me. Is eBay no longer a good vehicle to sell goods? It seems that everything for sale on eBay is being sold for less than I can purchase it for wholesale. I have a tax exempt certificate which allows me to buy at wholesale, yet I still see items for sale on eBay for less than I've paid for them. Any thoughts on this. Thanks.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2006, 03:38 AM
    I don't know about wholesalers, but...

I'm no PowerSeller on eBay, but I'm half convinced that those "courses" are baloney.

As eBay is the biggest, there's definitely potential for you to make big bucks there... but in my opinion, it's a matter of the right title and description.

As for the time it takes you to put them together, one tip would be to use an html editor to make a layout template for yourself. From there, all you need to do is paste in a new description and photo and put it up.

... just my 1.5 cents worth.

Aug 14, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    WFH Guide Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 13, 2006, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I don't know about wholesalers, but...

I'm no PowerSeller on eBay, but I'm half convinced that those "courses" are baloney.

As eBay is the biggest, there's definately potential for you to make big bucks there...but in my opinion, it's a matter of the right title and description.

As for the time it takes you to put them together, one tip would be to use an html editor to make a layout template for yourself. From there, all you need to do is paste in a new description and photo and put it up.

...just my 1.5 cents worth.

I have to agree with RickJ. Have you tried going around the Ebay boards and seeking advice? Ebay provides almost all the information you need onsite. If you really want to "pay" something, check out one of the many books on the subject. You might find them at your local library or I know they are on Amazon (I have links to several good books on my site, but you could easily find them through a search at any bookstore).

WFH guide

Sep 13, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Thank you. Great website!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 13, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Ok, I have a friend who sells model cars and planes on eBay. They buy them from china ( they buy boxes at a time and import direct)

And buying in bulk is how you get cheaper prices, most "wholesale" is not true wholesale since you are not buying from the real supplyer.

I buy and sell a few items on eBay ( about 1/3 of my purchases have had bad results sadly)

But yes what you have to do is get a price low enough to make money, that is the same for any business.

Sep 13, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Thank you. Excellent advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statistics@ Jar of coins expected value [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: there is a jar of coins where after much discussion and taking the guesses for each person in the class, you arrive at the conclusion that the probability distribution for the number of coins is normal with a 160mean + a standard deviation of 60 coins. What guess should the class...

Coins collection [ 1 Answers ]

Hi pals Can anyone tell me any website which stores the info of the old coins? And their present market cost?

Coins [ 1 Answers ]

I found a chinese coin in which it says ten dollars. It looks like it's made of nickel and it has a copper center. It also says hong kong on the bottom. 1994 is the year and chinese letters on the top. How much is it worth and can I exchange it at the foreign currency place.

View more questions Search