Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nigel_Lori Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Using CD-RW for data storage
    What do I need to do to use a CD-RW, out of its packing, to be able to save files to it, for transfer to another computer?

I know that, in the old days of floppies, they needed to be formatted. Does the same thing apply to CD-RW's?

If so, what are the steps I need to go through to do this?

Thx.
    Dreamer Posts: 76, Reputation: 13

Aug 17, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Hi Nigel_Lori,

Thank goodness the answer is no to your question regarding whether you have to first format a CD-RW like you used to with a floppy disk.

Here is what I've found to be the easiest way to burn data on to a CD-RW for transfer or preservation of files.

1. After inserting the disc, if a window pops up for your CD drive, select "Open Writable CD folder." If this window doesn't pop up upon insertion, manually select the CD folder by going to "My Computer" and then double-clicking the drive you want to access.

2. Next locate the file(s) that you want to transfer on to the disc. Right click them and select copy, or if you want to permanently delete them from your current PC, select cut. I recommend using copy just in case you need a back-up for whatever the reason. Then open the CD-RW window and right click to see the option Paste. Left click Paste to insert the files to that folder.

3. Then in the upper left hand corner of that CD drive window, left click where it gives you the option to copy (or burn) those files on to disc.

The process should automatically begin and you should have a window that is walking you through, telling you that they are being installed. A confirmation window will appear when it is finished.

If you can't fit all of the files on to the disc at once, then simply come back after you have transferred your files to the new computer and delete the files that are currently on the CD. Then follow steps 1-3 again.

I hope this has helped you! Please let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck & have fun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Flash.exe at 100% CPU Storage! [ 4 Answers ]

Hey everyone, Does anyone else have this problem?? When I try to "test movie" or "export Flash movie" my computer jumps to 100% CPU Usage and then Flash crashes! :( I'm currently working on an animation at 20 frames per/sec and running a 1Ghz Pentium 3, 512 megs of ram. Shouldn't that be...

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

[Help] needed or will lose storage [ 3 Answers ]

In a few days I'm going to lose my storage :( just need help Im going to lose evevything.. :( can I find help?

Protected Storage Server [ 1 Answers ]

I have Win98 with this PSTORES.EXE on it when I click on display active tasks in the winpatrol program. What is it, what does it do or protect and is the program needed on the computer? If not needed how do you OR should you get rid of it?

View more questions Search