Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSBROWNEYES1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 07:43 AM
    3 Month Old Retriever Mix puppy Potty training issues
    We recently adopted a retriever mix and this was a little less then a month ago, he was about 7 weeks when we got him. At first for a puppy we were shocked at how good he was. He was going to the bathroom outside, he didn't like a leash so he found himself his spot would go to it and then come right back to our door he didn't go to the potty in his cage AT ALL, and he would occasionally go to the potty in the house.

About a week and a half after we got him, he became VERY sick. He stayed in the animal hospital for about a week- 2 weeks. We really didn't think he was going to make it. He didn't eat at all that whole time in the hospital (they had to give him fluids) he had almost like a pee diarrhea that was bloody, so it's a blessing and a miracle that he survived. He has been through a lot in such a short amount of time, and we are very thankful that he is with us because overall he is a great puppy!

The problem now is that he goes to the bathroom in the cage whenever he is in it, and occasionally in the house. I am home pretty much ALL day, he comes with me if I leave to most places, where I can take him. He is rarely left in the cage during the day, only at night until the morning. He is constantly taken out. His last feeding is around 6 pm, and we let him out at least 4 times before we go to bed which is at around 11:30 pm. My husband takes him out EVERY morning before he goes to work which is between 3 am- 4 am, and he says that when he takes him out he does not go in the cage. I wake up at 7 am every morning and wake up to poop EVERY morning.

So now that he has pooped he needs a bath and I need to clean the cage, and I can't do it right away because I have to get my kids ready for school and then put them on the bus by 8:15. When I go back to clean the cage and give him a bath he eats the poop, its almost like he knows that I am frustrated at him and tries to hide it like a kid. Could it be the cage? He is in a really big cage and someone told me that it might be to big for him, but he is going to be a big dog so I didn't want to have to buy 2 cages.

I am really so clueless in what to due ANY ADVICE you have please let me know, I will try pretty much anything as long as it will not harm him!! Thank you for taking the time in reading this!!
    Ber Rabbit Posts: 134, Reputation: 23

Feb 10, 2009, 10:08 AM

You need a cage that's just big enough for him to stand and to turn around in. You have to decide if cleaning up every morning is worth the price of another cage. Maybe you can find a reasonably priced one on Craigslist then sell it when he outgrows it.
    Ber

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

6 month old puppy is regressing in potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I have a six month old Morkie. We live in a cold climate and have struggled with potty training this winter. We have followed the directions of taking him to the same spot, taking him out within a half hour of eating, and going out every hour and a half or so. He does well in his crate, but when...

Potty Training my 5 month old Shihtzu [ 1 Answers ]

We have had our Shihtuzu almost 3 months. He will be 5 months old next week and still having accidents. We have been using a crate effectively at night and most of the time during the day. Unfortunately, even though we take him out every 1-2 hours when out of the crate he's still having...

Potty training issues [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought an Olde English Bulldogge, and am having some potty training issures. Toby is 12 weeks old going on 13 weeks. We picked him up on Saturday. My wife and I both work, I leave for work at 5 and get home at 3:15, and my wife leaves at 7 and gets home at 4:30. Normally he can not...

7 month adopted puppy - potty training problems? [ 2 Answers ]

I have just adopted a 7 month old female puppy from a rescue shelter. Her history is unknown. We've had her for a few days and she has yet to use the bathroom outside. We walk her several times for 15 mintues and the minute we get back inside she eliminates on the carpet. She has no concept of...

Dog potty training issues [ 2 Answers ]

I've posted on here with very similar issues and they continue. Our 7 month old las shepherd mix will not go potty out side we can walk around for over an hour and she refuses to go then as soon as we are back inside she goes pee and poop on the carpet. We used to have a doggy door that she used...

View more questions Search