Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ed Nieh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2006, 02:50 PM
    How to find a drain line siutable for new toilet?
    I would like to add a half bath to an exterior space which could be enclosed. The new half bath that share a wall with existing wet bar with sink and ice maker drains in that wall. How deep should I dig down before I can find a main drain line under the exterior wall?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nieh
    I would like to add a half bath to an exterior space which could be enclosed. The new half bath that share a wall with existing wet bar with sink and ice maker drains in that wall. How deep should I dig down before I can find a main drain line under the exterior wall?
    Hi Ed,

You haven't given us much to go on. Is this a basement or a slab home? Is the exterior space anywhere near the outside cleanout? Where is the outside cleanout in relationship to the addition you wish to biuld? City sewer or septic tank? What climate do you live in? Warm? Cold? While the new addition can share a vent with the wet bar that's all it can share. You will have to locate a main at least 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Get back to us with some details and we'll answer ASAP. Regards, Tom

Aug 13, 2006, 08:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hi Ed,

You haven't given us much to go on. Is this a basement or a slab home? Is the exterior space anywhere near the outside cleanout? Where is the outside cleanout in relationship to the addition you wish to biuld? City sewer or septic tank? What climate do you live in? Warm? Cold? While the new addition can share a vent with the wet bar that's all it can share. you will have to locate a main at least 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Get back to us with some details and we'll answer ASAP. Regards, Tom
    Thank Speedbal for for your response. My home is a slab home on City sewer. It is located in warm weather and ground freezing does not occur. The new addition can share water line and vent with the wet bar. The sink in the addition can share the 1 1/2 inch drain with the sink in the wet bar. The wet bar has another 1 1/2 in drain for the ice maker. Those drains are in the wall between the wet bar and the new addition.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Hey Ed,

As you can see I live in Florida in a slab home so I'm familiar with your set up. You didn't answer my question, " Is the exterior space anywhere near the outside cleanout? Where is the outside cleanout in relationship to the addition you wish to biuld?"

You state, "The new addition can share water line and vent with the wet bar. The sink in the addition can share the 1 1/2 inch drain with the sink in the wet bar. The wet bar has another 1 1/2 in drain for the ice maker. Those drains are in the wall between the wet bar and the new addition."

While the new lavatory can share a vent with the existing wet bar connecting the two drains would call for a separate vent for the toilet.
    A better plan would be to connect to the toilet drain and let the lavatory drain wet vent it. On our slab homes we rough in the drainage just under the pour. Locate your cleanout and you will see just how far it's under ground.
    If your outside sewer line is located away from where you wish the addition to go in then, unless you want to bust concrete to locate a main, you will have to run around the outside of the house to connect. Good luck, Tom

Aug 13, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Tom,

The area to be enclose for the half bath is located half way between other toilets that are located on the west side of the house and the clean out on the far east side of the house. The clean out directly leads to the main drain to the city sewer. The distance between the clean out and the new half bath is about 40 ft and there is a paved 30 ft wide drive way leading to the garage which I do not wish to disturb. I dig down 18 inches on the other side of the wall where the wet bar 1 1/ in. are located. Hopefully, below that there is a 3 in drain that I can tap into.
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 13, 2006, 11:57 AM
    Ed,

"If I dig down 18 inches on the other side of the wall where the wet bar 1 1/ in. are located. Hopefully, below that there is a 3 in drain that I can tap into."

Unless there's a toilet nearby or a 3" kitchen sink drain line i doubt you'll find a main that will accept a toilet and by the way we rough all of our toilet drains under the slab at 4". Your best bet would be to cut a trench in the driveway and tie to the main or if you don't wish to disturb the driveway simply jet a line under the drive. However, you said " The area to be enclose for the half bath is located half way between other toilets." If one of the toilets is located on a outside wall you could tunnel under the foundation or make a hole/notch and pick up the half bath from the toilets drain line. Just a suggestion. Regards, tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find toilet drain in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Builder has exposed drain pipe for shower and wash-out drain against wall for vanity, yet no exposed toilet ring in cement floor. It is all stubbed down for water and air vents, but nothing visible for the toilet. We have drilled holes in the cement where we think the toilet will go with no luck....

Air Lock in Water Line to Toilet [ 5 Answers ]

I had to drain water from the house last night to fix a minor leak in a cold water line. Now, one of my toilets will not fill after it is flushed. It appears that there is an air lock in the line. How do I fix this?

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Ever find out someone died, but not right away, like years down the line? [ 9 Answers ]

I just found out today that mitch hedberg died. I know I am late, really late, but I don't ever remember hearing anything about that. And it really took me back. He was my favorite comedian. I really do love comedy, just I didn't know that these people had websites and stuff. It just never occurred...

Finding this toilet line [ 5 Answers ]

I have a bathroom with the following showed drain lines in it (attached image), it can be a full bathroom in the basement. My problem is and I hope someone can help me is, I don't know where the toilet drain goes because I just bought the house, the shower drain shown on the left drains really...

View more questions Search