Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aanuteju Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 08:54 PM
    Elliptical motion of satellite around planet
    Why a satellite have greater speed when its radius of rotation is less ? By energy arguments please explain this.

Feb 8, 2009, 08:56 PM

Why a satellite has greater speed in elliptical orbit when its radius of rotation is less around a planet ?

Feb 8, 2009, 08:58 PM
    Why a satellite have greater speed when its radius of rotation is less ? By energy arguments please explain this.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 01:13 PM

Here's a hint - think about what happens to a satellite's potential energy as the distance to the planet it orbits decreases - as it gets lower in the gravitational field its PE decreases, right? So what does that mean would happen to its kinetic energy?
    sarnian Posts: 462, Reputation: 9
    -

Feb 9, 2009, 05:34 PM
    At any moment during the orbit the total amount of energy is the same.

Lets consider a bullet fired upwards. First it has kinetic energy from it's speed. While climbing that energy is converted into potential energy. When the kinetic energy is nill, the potential energy is maximal. Now the bullet starts falling down again, and potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, while it's speed picks up again.

Now imagine that the bullet goes extremely fast, so fast that it gets into an eliptic orbit around earth. At the 'highest' point the speed away from earth is nill. But nearest to earth it's speed is maximum.
    visharad Posts: 47, Reputation: 4

Feb 18, 2009, 12:53 AM

When the satellite is closer to the Earth, then it has smaller gravitational potential energy. Hence, larger kinetic energy and thereby larger speed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hooking up vcr to record satellite [ 1 Answers ]

How can I hook up my vcr and satellite receiver to record a show

Record Satellite? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a DVD player, VCR, and Star Choice Satellite (Canadian) hooked up to my newer Sony television. All components are connect and working properly. I cannot get it so I can record anything that is on the satellite TV. I was told with Satellite you can only record the channel you have on which...

Need motion in opposition to defendants motion for summary judgement & TO STOP Thief [ 5 Answers ]

Good day all,received a motion in the mail "plaintiff's motion for default judgement as to defendents xxxxxx,xxxxxx,xxxxxx, and judgement on the pledings as to defendant xxxxxxx (state gov agency that sold the tax deed ) this case is about a overlooked tax lein sold against my grandmothers house ...

View more questions Search