Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dragosani Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 08:06 PM
    Spring constants
    An elastic cord is 65 cm long when a wieght of 75N hangs from it but is 85 cm long when a weight of 180 N hangs from it. What is the "spring" constant k of this elastic cord.
    I know that k= f/x. Separately, than gives you: 75N/0 .65m = 115.4N/m and 180N/.85m= 211.8N/m. But I figured k would be the same. It's obviously not and now I don't know what else to do. Any help is appreciated.Thank you.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 9, 2009, 01:06 PM

The actual formula is . Here you don't know what the starting length of the elastic cord is. What you do know is:

Now solve for k.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spring Gun [ 2 Answers ]

A spring-loaded toy gun is used to shoot a ball of mass m= 1.50\; \rm{kg} straight up in the air, as shown in the figure. View Figure The spring has spring constant k = 667\;\rm{N/m}. If the spring is compressed a distance of 25.0 centimeters from its equilibrium position y=0 and then released,...

Constants in nature and mathematics [ 1 Answers ]

What is the role of a constant i.e.. Planck's constant in nature?

Spring Classes for Men [ 2 Answers ]

Date: Saturday, April 7, 2007 21:45:57 +0000 Spring Classes for Men at SEVEN OAKS RECREATIONISTS NEW ADULT LEARNING CENTER REGISTRATION MUST BE COMPLETED By Monday, April 30, 2007 NOTE: DUE TO THE COMPLEXITY AND DIFFICULTY LEVEL

Spring lawncare [ 2 Answers ]

I have about 1 acre of mowable lawn. I have used a lawn service before but want to make a go of it myself... I have some weeds (mostly clover). Using a walk behind spreader what kind of fertilizer will work best in the spring?

View more questions Search