Ask
    tpuddles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 01:12 PM
    My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air
    My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 02:21 PM
    Woops,, did someone install a new blower motor ?maybe running in wrong direction
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 03:03 PM
    Happens all the time. LOL
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 03:56 PM

That's one thing it could be.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 04:49 PM
    Where is this return located? 1st floor, 2nd floor, on the floor, on a wall... does this occur with the system running or off? Are there any wedding cakes in the house at this time? Okay, that one has nothing to do with anything...
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 06:09 PM
    A blower wheel running backwards should not create enough air force to blow air out the return air duct. The high amp draw from the blower motor running backwards will over heat it and in turn shut down. Check for a down or separated return air duct.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 07:01 PM

Are you positive that it is a return grill, or maybe it is actually a supply. Please let us know
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2010, 05:25 AM

T-Top, why would it overheat, they are meant to run either direction, however you be sure motor blows so air comes out the ducts?
    I believe their would be increased resistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Heating/AC Unit Blows COOL air only (not hot or cold) [ 4 Answers ]

Please help! We're hosting Thanksgiving dinner for family & the heater in my basement does not blow hot air at all. The hetaing unit blows cool air only. I switched to A/C and it also blows cool air only. Any suggestions prior to calling repairman? In the spirit of Thanksgiving my cold...

Return Air vent sucking air... and being really loud about it [ 5 Answers ]

In the middle of our living room is a return-air vent. It goes straight up to 2 of the bedrooms upstairs also. When the furnace kicks on, the noise coming from the vent down here is rediculously loud, almost to a point where nothing else is distinguishable above the wind sound. The furnace's...

Why cold air blows out of cold air return when furnace is on [ 1 Answers ]

Why does cold air blow out of the cold air return when the furance is on?

Return blowing air instead of sucking [ 12 Answers ]

Just purchased a condo in AZ. Home inspection noted no problems with AC unit. Don't know brand or if it is a heatpump - think it may be since it is one unit supplying AC and heat. Last week, at one point, I turned AC on and cold air was blowing out of return instead of sucking and no air was...

View more questions Search