Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cjarnol1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2009, 09:49 AM
    How to apply Tax Treaty when filing jointly?
    I am a U.S. citizen filing jointly with my wife who is a non-resident alien. She is a student and her income comes from a government grant. Her income is taxed throughout the year. In past years she has been able to get those taxes refunded by specifying her wages on line 6 of 1040NR (Total wages and scholarships exempt by a treaty) and citing the treaty (China-USA tax treaty exempt articles 20b and 20c. See it here). (She also files form 8843 Statement for Exempt Individuals).

So my question is- This year, since we are filing jointly on form 1040, can she still specify the treaty and have her taxes refunded? If so, where would she specify the wages that should have been tax exempt? (1040 has no box for this). And, are there any other forms we need to fill out (8843, etc)?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 11:15 AM

If you file joint return as residents, she will not get treaty benefit.

To get treaty benefit she files nonresident tax return and you file as married filing separately.
    Choose which ever option is best for you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2009, 02:05 PM
    Actually, due to an exception to the Savings Clause in the U.S.-China Tax Treaty, she CAN file jointly with you and STILL claim her $5,000 China Treaty exemption by entering it as a NEGATIVE $5,000 entry on Line #21 of Form 1040.

She WILL have to report the Form 1042-S income on Line #7 of the Form 1040, along with your wages.

If she files jointly with you, no Form 8843 is required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Status Married Filing Jointly? Or Treaty-Based Single Non-Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I worked in the US for a US company in 2006 (TN visa) for 1.5 months and filed a non-resident alien return as a single person. I worked in 2007 in the US until the end of August (still on TN visa), then returned home to Canada and worked for a Canadian employer for the rest of the year. I had a...

Filing status as Married Filing Jointly or Filing Separately [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have been in USA on L1 for the following time period: May 2006 to January 2007. August 2007 till Date. According to the substantial presence test, I completed my 183 days in US in November 2007. So during 2007 I was a dual status alien. My non-working spuose and year old...

Non-resident H4 - filing jointly or married filing separately, and ITIN [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in the middle of last year and moved later in 2006 to the USA (h4 visa, spouse H1 visa). I do not meet the substantial presence test for 2006 (taking into account the previous two years and computing) or the green card test. As I understand, we can only file jointly if I...

Can I apply tax treaty? [ 3 Answers ]

I came to USA in Oct 2003 from China, with H1B visa to do research in University. I never came to USA before that, and did not left after arriving. China has a tax treaty with USA to get 3 years income tax free. Can I apply this treaty? The 3 year is 3-calander year or 36-month? Thanks!

Non-resident H4, ITIN number, e-filing, jointly filing taxes with spouse [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a couple of questions. My spouse is a resident (H1) and I'm on an H4 visa. I'm a non-resident based on the substantial presence test. When we file our taxes 1) Do I need to get a ITIN number before we file our joint taxes? How long would it take to get one? 2) Once I have the...

View more questions Search