Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andyrose Posts: 37, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 06:52 PM
    Sweating & Always Hot
    I'm a 57 years old male and on several medications, which are as follows. Amitriptyline, Lexapro, Klonopin, Atenolol, Lipitor, and Niacin. I know that Amitriptyline makes you sensitive to the sun and that Niacin can result in hot flashes. My problem started well before I was on any of these medications, so I doubt that they are the cause. Here is my problem. First, when I go outside, regardless of whether the temperature is 60 degrees or 80 degrees, my skin feels so hot, that I immediately have to get out of the sun. This is likely exasperated by the Amitriptyline. The biggest problem, however, is that I am unable to cool off when I'm inside, even if the temperature is below 70 degrees, with the air conditioning running non stop. I'll get into the shower at night, and by the time I have towel dried off, my entire body breaks out into a sweat. It is incredibly uncomfortable. The only way I can prevent this, is to immediately sit directly in front of a fan for about 30 minutes until my body finally cools down, otherwise I'm dripping with sweat. This happens even when I'm not taking Niacin, so I know that this is not the cause. When I'm outside on a comfortable day, temperatures in the low 70's, very low humidity, I'll break out into an uncontrollable sweat after walking for only a few minutes. I'm in excellent health, exercise regularly, but have this one very frustrating problem. Please advise

One other unrelated issue I'd like to bring up, is that some of my finger nails have ridges in them, and on my right pinky, the ridges are so bad that it causes a crack of the nail going right down to the cuticle. Any advice on this would also be welcome. Thank you very much.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Aug 14, 2006, 01:33 PM
    Hi Andyrose -

Lexapro can have a side effect of increased sweating. Check with your Dr. before abruptly stopping the med.
    If this is not the case, then the symptoms you describe could be from HYPERHIDROSIS (excessive sweating) see:http://www.sts.org/doc/4097

Good Luck :)

Aug 14, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Thanks!
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Aug 15, 2006, 03:24 AM
    Have you had any heart problems.

Could be an early warning signs.

Aug 15, 2006, 07:06 AM
    No heart problems. I'm thinking it must be related to the medications that I'm on.
    Bauke73 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 05:03 PM
    1) Regarding the tendency to feeling hot, a simple check of thyroid function at your doctors office could rule out one common cause of this symptom. I agree that a medication, even if not the main cause, has the potential of making the problem worse.

2) Ridges can form in the fingernails in association with iron deficiency, kidney disease and some forms of arthritis. It has been observed with thyroid problems, too! That can be easily checked if you have your thyroid function checked. But don't worry, it's usually just a feature of getting older, even if you are otherwise quite healthy.
    (physician)

Aug 28, 2006, 05:10 PM
    Thank you very much.
    jspjoe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2010, 12:10 PM
    If you find answers please let me know. I have a similar problem.

Thank you

Joe
    zen_shazbat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2011, 04:09 PM
    I would say this, due to my similar experience [46], some of what you describe relates to diabetes as it did with me.

I have spent years researching this.

My conclusion to my high temperature is that the only help is through higher fitness - less weight - better circulation .

Best regards.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternative to sweating copper [ 10 Answers ]

Howdy, I was at the local big box store and saw something that called it self an alternative to sweating copper. It was a liquid called Just For Copper. Being a geek and interested in things that can make my home improvement life easier, I thought I would give it a try. Well, I am not...

Duct is sweating [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys. I have a heat pump/furnance unit and it has been working great but I have noticed in the past week that the duct attached to the furnance/blower in our garage is sweating a little bit. It has been very hot lately so I have a feeling that its just from the humidity it the garage, but do you...

Sweating <-> Losing Fat [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know in which ways do these things affect losing body fat... - sweating because you're in a sauna, not doing anything - working out hard in a cold room, which would prevent sweating - working out (easily) in a room with high temperature... in a way that room temperature aids...

Compression Vs Sweating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all! I need to replace a 1/2 dozen frozen valves in my basement that control water feeds up to 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms and kitchens. The current valves are sweat on. I am not that confident in sweating. Most of the lines are 1/2" one is 3/4". Can I remove these and replace with...

Toilet sweating? [ 1 Answers ]

I just painted my bathroom so I took off the toilet tank to get to the wall. I noticed the tank to bowl seal was in pretty bad shape so I replaced it. When I put it back on the left side on the bottom of the tank has condensation. It produces enough to have a very, very small drip (1/2-3/4 in a...

View more questions Search