Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Boyfriend's daughter misses ex-girlfriend.
    How do I tactfully tell my boyfriend that his daughter is hurting my feelings? She's 9, and I don't think she realizes that her telling me on a daily basis that she misses his ex-girlfriend hurts my feelings. But it does, how do I tell him without seeming like a whiner? They were together for a year, and they are still friends. So I don't want it to seem that I am jealous of their relationship, which I'm not, but I kind of think that he needs to talk to her about it.

Thank you in advance for the help and advice...
    frangipanis Posts: 1,027, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:00 PM

Being with someone who has children from a previous relationship can be a difficult position to be in at times.

Is she living with her dad full-time... and saying other things to make you feel special or welcome?

Having made the emotional adjustment of accepting her dad's ex-girlfriend after living with the fact her parents aren't together, I imagine she has reached saturation point for a while. You can't force anyone to feel how you want them to feel, and with children you need to be a lot more patient than you would normally need to be with an adult. Even so, her father can let her know he accepts how she is feeling but finds it necessary to impose a few behavioural rules; like, letting her know she is actually hurting your feelings even if she doesn't mean to be doing that, and pointing out to her that he won't allow her to be hurtful or disrespectful towards you.

Hope that's helpful in some way.
    neverme Posts: 1,430, Reputation: 270
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 09:06 PM

The thing is, especially when kids are involved, honesty is the best policy.

Don't whine and moan when you tell him, then it won't seem as though you're a whiner, you know?

Just tell him that you understand the situation but at the same time it does hurt your feelings to hear it so if he could have a word that would be great..

And you might try bringing his daughter out on a day just the two of you if that's appropriate, or else with dad too, to do something fun.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 8, 2009, 12:26 PM

How long have you been with this fellow?
    Vision Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by neverme View Post
    The thing is, especially when kids are involved, honesty is the best policy.

Don't whine and moan when you tell him, then it won't seem as though your a whiner, ya know?

Just tell him that you understand the situation but at the same time it does hurt your feelings to hear it so if he could have a word that would be great..

And you might try bringing his daughter out on a day just the two of you if that's appropriate, or else with dad too, to do something fun.
    We've already done that... but it's actually all figured out now...
    Vision Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 11:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    How long have you been with this fellow?
    Dating for three months, we've been friends for 10 years.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 07:02 AM

#ho0w did you manage to figure it out?
    Vision Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 02:06 PM

I talked to him. We discussed it. She went to the movies with the ex..
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 02:09 PM

Glad it all worked out for you.
    Vision Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 02:35 PM

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She's my girlfriend but her friendster shoutout says she misses someone [ 6 Answers ]

On her Friendster shoutout. My girlfriend said that she misses someone even though she isn't with him anymore. What does that mean! She still loves her ex boyfriend? I want to ask her but I cant! I don't want to see her type 'yes I still like/love him'. I really want her! Tell me what I should do !

Girlfriend needed break because confused.now she misses me [ 5 Answers ]

Ok so I posted a thread on here a few days ago saying my girlfriend needed a break because she said she felt as if I was falling faster for her then she was for me, and that she wasn't sure if she sure if she was ready for a serious relationship because she was hurt big time in her last and only...

I'm a girl who misses her lame girlfriend. Why? [ 7 Answers ]

And I don't know why. She was emotionally abusive, completely self-absorbed, and she did not value me like she should have. I am currently a masters student, I'm very attractive, I am a loving, loyal, witty person who treated her like gold. She'd had abusive relationships before with her...

My boyfriend's ex girlfriend [ 11 Answers ]

:rolleyes: Hi My Name is Christine,I have a boyfriend and we were together since feb.18th of this year 07.the thing is I am so happy with this guy,he is a great man but I have this problem.He lives with his grandmother and knowing that his ex girlfriend was with him for 4 years but now that they...

View more questions Search