Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nancyip Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2006, 09:47 AM
    Phone jack wiring
    How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 10:00 AM
    Typically the wire colors for line one are red and green... but to be sure, just open one of your other primary line jacks to confirm... then wire the one you want to change just like it

Aug 11, 2006, 10:21 AM
    Rickj,

I have already compared the jack I want to change to another one that is wired for the primary line. They both appear to be the same so I am wondering if the solution is in the NI box?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2006, 10:26 AM
    Could be. As Rick noted, a phone line actually uses only the Red and Green. A phone jack typically as 4 wires; red, green, yellow and black. A jack wired for 2 lines (RJ 14) as the red and green of line 1 going to the red and green of the jack and the red and green of line 2 going to the yellow and black of the jack. This can be accomplished by running 2 wires into the jack or doing the wiring at the network interface and running one wire.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 10:50 AM
    Do you know if the jack you want to change has EVER been used as line1?

If not, then it could be that it's wires go straight to line2 in the NI box... or be junctioned to line 2 in a wall somewhere.

If so, then two of the other wires behind that jack will connect you: you can just try other pairs of unused wires behind the jack you want to change (with a phone plugged in) and call your number until you get a ring.

... yes, it's supposed to be simpler than this, but someone has done some inconsistent wiring.

Aug 11, 2006, 01:01 PM
    To Scott: Yes the jack has the four wires but it is impossible for me to tell which wires inside the jack each of the four is connected to. They go into 4 holes--whatever is on the other side is not easily discerned.

To Rick: this is a new home (2002) and this particular jack was installed to handle my data line which was the secondary line. I have never had my primary phone plugged into this jack. If the resolution is at the NI, then I am lost--I looked in there and I would not have a clue as to 1.) what it all means, and 2) how to determine if this is my problem, and 3) how to change it. The phone company told me they would do it for $95--and they did not even flinch!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 11, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Radio Shack used to have a book on phone wiring for about $15. You might want to try and find that.

Let me get this straight, the only thing that was ever plugged into this line was your computer modem? If so, then either the data line was wired as the primary or its not wired as a multi-line (RJ-14). No standard modem works with an RJ-14. A modem will only pick up what is wired as the primary line.

One way to test if this is a RJ-14 is to plug a multi-line phone in and see if you get a dial-tone on each line.

What type of jack is this? You should be able to open it up and see the wires. What is it you want to do with this jack? Use it with your regular phone line? If it is a 2 line, you should be able to open the jack and connect the yellow wire to the red terminal and the black to the green terminal (leave the red and green wires unconnected). If you do that and don't get a dial tone, its not wired as an RJ-14.
    Phone Guy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nancyip
    How do I convert jack that was used for a second line back to the primary line?
    What color are the wires that are attached to the jack ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to rewire a phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I need some help. This house had at one time two different phone lines. We now have only one phone line working. I need to find out how to rewire one of the jacks that was hooked up to the other number. The phone company is going to charge us $120 to come out and do this, but they tell me that...

Rj 31X phone jack [ 4 Answers ]

I just bought aRJ 31X phone jack which is supposed to allow my father in laws life line system to dial out even if his phone is off the hook. I need help hooking this into the existing phone line.

Rewiring a phone jack [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know how to rewire a phone jack? It's in my den but it's a different line/number than the one I use in the rest of the house. I want to put my computer/DSL/fax/answering machine in that room without running an extension phone cord across the floor and down the hallway. The phone...

How to change wiring on phone jack for DSL [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I need help! I have only one phone jack in room with computer. It is a separate line and number different from my home phone. I am getting DSL and will no longer need this separate number. When I cancel this number for cpu that line will be dead(I Think). I ordered my DSL on my regular...

Rewiring a phone jack [ 2 Answers ]

I wired our phone lines 10 years ago so that I could have 2 phone lines. Now I am having a third line added. How do I rewire an existing phone line for the third line. I just want to replace an existing fax/computer line with a dedicated computer line. I only need to do the one outlet next to...

View more questions Search