Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    munny9068 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 04:14 PM
    Heat Pump Defrost Mode
    I have a 3 year old, 4 ton Ruud heat pump. I'm in VA where right now it is between 20 and 40 degrees most days. Is it unusual for the HP to go into defrost mode rather frequently? Is this a sign of a needed service call? Heating is fine, just wondering if the HP is telling me something and I am not listening. Many thanks
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 04:56 PM

A heat pump can go into defrost every 45 to 90 minutes of operation, defrost depends on the need to defrost, if yours is operating within this time frame I would say your fine, good luck, Mike
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 08:05 AM
    How did this get your attention? If defrost seems more frequent than you are accustomed to, it could be the result of a faulty defrost thermostat (stuck closed).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I manualy defrost my heat pump [ 3 Answers ]

I did it last year but I don't remember what I did. I remember making a jumper wire and jumping 2 terminals together with a jumper wire on the circuit board on the outside unit. Can anyone help me with this... Thanks

Heat Pump Defrost Cycle [ 1 Answers ]

My new Payne heat pump condenser unit has frost around the coils. The defrost cycle does not seem to be coming on. Could it be a control wiring problem? And, is the defrost thermostat considered a outdoor thermostat?

Bad odor whenever heat pump is in defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Tappan 13-seer a/c-heat pump that emits a musty odor in the house for a few minutes every hour or so on colder days when the heat pump is set to heat and it is in defrost mode. I know it is in defrost because the compressor fan outside stops running, while the compressor itself...

Carrier heat pump works fine so far, won't go into defrost mode [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrie heat pump that is working fine so far. It still provide heat for my home. It just dose not go in to defrost mode to defrost the out side unit. I have read to put the unit in auxialry mode to get a few extra defrost cycles in, but when I read the flash codes it never say anything...

Heat Pump defrost cycle [ 1 Answers ]

Hopefully my question isn't redundant. Earlier this year I changed my thermostat from a manual to a programmable thermostat. The cooling and heating aspects seem to work fine but I have noticed that during the defrost cycle the aux heat doesn't appear to come on since I changed the thermostat. ...

View more questions Search