Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lotte Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
    Artist Signature Unknown Oil Painting
    I received this Large oil painting from my parents estate. I believe they acquired it in the 50's or 60's (not sure) I've tried searching the artists name, but not sure if I am reading it correctly. R.B.Rchards. I would like more information on the artist and subject. No manifest at all.
    Attached Images

Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 01:22 PM

Looks like R. B. Richard.

Feb 7, 2009, 10:50 AM
    That's what I though too, but cannot find any information at all on a R B Richard? Is this a known artist?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 09:44 PM

Actually, I quite like this painting! Just one thing... that frame is driving me nuts. ;) it honestly should be in something significantly nicer. If it were me, or if you can afford it, I would be putting it in a thick wood, hand carved gold frame. Oh, how I digress...

Really, the painting is good. It was obviously painted on location (though with some imagination thrown in.) perhaps if you can find someone who recognizes the city in which it was painted, you would have another clue as to where this artist based at least some of his work, if not in fact a city in which he lived. Oddly enough, I know an old Italian painter who paints in a very similar style, and he has done quite well for himself.

Have you been considering selling it? This is a fine painting. If it were me, I would keep enjoying it.

Feb 13, 2009, 09:59 PM

Thank-you for your input. I agree with the frame, not to my taste either. I am planning on selling, I have 2 others quite similar, but again different. All different artists. When I look at the painting I think of Spain?? I guess because of the costumes.
    fmtaskart Posts: 87, Reputation: 7

Apr 11, 2009, 01:53 PM
    Possibly R. Burchard .

I found an auction listing for a :

Mexican Plaza Scene With Stylized Figures All W... by R. Burchard

My subscription to the site was expired so I didn't go deeper. In my opinion the figures in your painting are either:

ALL Women or
    ALL Wearing the same clothes. Possibly both.

Apr 11, 2009, 08:21 PM

Hi and thank-you. I'm looking to sell the painting now and am curious to what I should ask. Can you maybe tell me which acution house you were looking at. This may give me a start. Thank-you again for your help! Lotte
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Apr 12, 2009, 12:01 AM

Hi again, Lotte!

R. Burchard:

O'Gallerie June 9, 10 and 11 Furniture and Decorative Arts Auction (post-auction prices) Page 6

and http://www.ogallerie.com/auctions/2008-06/297_1.jpg

The painting in the link actually matches yours. The sum asked for auction was quite low ($100-150), and the selling price was even lower ($30). The fact that the venue could have been based an estate sale or estate sale pieces might be influencing those figures.

It could be that you're trying to sell the painting for reasons of space (like for a move), or perhaps your situation is one in which (potentially) smaller contributions to your bank account might also matter, which would be fair. If neither of these elements apply, if this were my painting, I would probably keep it. Many times sentimental value really is worth more than any selling price, and the fact that this painting was part of your inheritance might make this even more true now. I happen to like looking at it. It's earthy, a little fantastical and colorfully uplifting. Of course, what you decide to do is purely up to you. Best of luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify Avante Studios and/or Artist Signature - Oil Painting [ 8 Answers ]

This oil painting endorsed on the back as Avante Studios, Inc. is a mystery to me. From what I know, my parents acquired it in the 60s, and as you see, the subject matter definitely embodies the owl craze of the era. Can anyone help identify the studio, artist, or value? Any information is...

Indentifying signature on oil painting [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, could anyone help me please identify the artist of this oil painting please. It's a oil painting on canvas, 24" x 40" and its signed in the bottom left corner with the name Santos. I was given this painting about 5yrs ago, it had been on the wall of a local pub for yrs but when they...

Unknown painting, difficult signature to read [ 7 Answers ]

Hello-- I have a painting that was bought in Germany around the 1940s, and I can't identify the artist. Can anybody help? I'll attach a photo of the painting along with the signature-- Thank you for any help you can give me! I'd just like to know the name of the artist--we've had it so...

Identifying a SIGNATURE on a painting? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello fellows, can anyone help me with the signature of that painting, I can't even recognize a single letter, well appart from the "i" in the first word - anyone with an idea? i think it might be from 2nd quarter of the 20. cent, but I am open to your suggestions. thank you, berns

Unidentified signature on painting [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have an oil painting with a signature I can't read. I don't know how to add a picture. It would be great if someone knew who this artist is. Any help with a source to search signatures ( free ) or help with how to atach a photo would be appreciated, Thanks, Diane

View more questions Search