Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jadeaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 07:02 PM
    Ceiling fan works properly only when light is on
    I just installed a ceiling fan, and though the fan works great when the light is turned on, when the light is turned off, all power seems to be drained from the fan. I've tried to rewire, but no luck. And when the light and fan are on together, any small imbalance in the "fan" disappears. Does anyone know what may be causing this to happen?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2006, 11:58 PM
    What switch are you using to control the light? The pullchain, or the wall switch? In any case, the fan motor is also hooked into the light switch.

For that matter, are you saying, when you turn the light off, the fan slows down but STILL RUNS? Or that it simply stops?

What fan do you have?
    jadeaux Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2006, 05:29 AM
    I am using the pull chain to shut the light off, and yes when the light is off the fan still works but slows down severely. The fan is a Hampton Bay. Does it matter that it's on a 3-way switch and one switch is a dimmer?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Is the fan on a dimmer, or is the light?

Try removing the dimmer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Hampton Bay Remote Ceiling Fan - light works - no fan [ 2 Answers ]

After about 4 months of use, this began to happen. I would try to turn on the fan (either Low Med or High) and the fan would barely turn. Sometimes it would work - this lasted for about 5 days. Since then, if you try to turn on the fan, you get no response. Now, the light will still turn on...

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

Bathroom fan/light: light works, fan doesn't [ 3 Answers ]

I'm back with more "finishing basement" questions. This weekend, I wired my bathroom. This is 20 amp service with 12 ga wire. For the bath fan/light, the power source came into the switch box (1 box, 2 switches) on a 12/2 wire. From there, power goes up to the light/fan on a 12/3 wire. Red goes...

View more questions Search