Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doza13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
    Height of standpipe.
    Chapter 3 of my continuous saga...

Is the standpipe distance measured strictly from its distance above the p trap? I am concerned if I make this standpipe 30 inches and washing machine may struggle to pump the water that high. Currently the top of the standpipe is a few inches above the washing machine.

Also it looks like I am going to have to cut into the branch off the main and use two shielded clamps.
    Is this the best way to tap into it?
    What other plumbing can it support if I do it this way?
    Could I add a WYE and a Saniflo system (for a basement shower/sink and toilet) on to this in the future?

Image is below.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2009, 11:06 AM
    The way I see it you have two options.
    1) Increase the length of the washer stand pipe to 36 inches from the trap to the end,and make a "surge pipe" (see image). "( your washer pump should pump a 8foot head)**or**
    2) Make the washer a closed system by installing a compression fitting, (see image) This will force the discharge on through without the danger of backups and overflow. Do you really wish to add a basement bath and ejector system? Regards, Tom
    Doza13 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 11:58 AM

Interesting. So I can have an open standpipe and drain in from another connection? I didn't know that was an option.

I am strongly considering a basement bath using an ejector system. Seems better then cutting up the concrete. My house in in dire need of another bath.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 6, 2009, 12:37 PM
    Check out Saniflo Systems, prices and downloads at; Saniflo - Technical help and downloads
    Good luck, Tom
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2009, 11:47 AM

Code requirement for a washing machine standpipe is a minimum of 24 inches and a maximum of 48 inches from the trap to the top.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washing Machine Standpipe Height [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a washing machine in the basement and the sewage drain pipe is at a height of 5 feet off the floor. From everything I have read, the standpipe should be above the height of the washer tub and it should be 2" in diameter. Could I install the washer without having a external pump...

Standpipe overflow [ 8 Answers ]

First let me say how impressed I am with this site and your willingness to help DIY'ers. For some background; We have a 30+yr old house designed and built by an old school DIY'er. Suffice it to say we have discovered some interesting engineering. He obviously had a good supply of 2" drill...

Standpipe overflows [ 11 Answers ]

I just installed a used Kenmore series 80 washer and am having problems with the standpipe overflowing during rinse cycle. The old washer would suds up around the drain, but never overflowed. The current standpipe is 2" PVC that is 33" high from the floor. The stand pipe goes through the floor ...

Rooftop Standpipe perhaps? [ 6 Answers ]

I have read through most of the plumbing problems and haven't seen exactly my situation, so here goes. Here are the facts as best as I can describe. Block home built in 1968 as 2 bdr. 1 bath Addition of a bedroom and additional bath circa 1978 (fireplace too.. another issue) Secondary...

View more questions Search