Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 10:14 AM
    1099-c after filing
    My husband filed his taxes about 2 weeks ago and already received his state refund. Yesterday, we got a 1099-C in the mail, stating that a company had "cancelled" just under $5400 on an account that we settled last year. I found this website:
    Canceled Debts IRS 1099-C | Charged off or forgiven

We had no idea that this could happen so we never went through the process of requesting that they not report this money; can I try to argue that they agreed to settle the debt in full so there was no "cancellation" of debt, like the above website points out?

Also, this debt was already "charged off" by one collector about 4 years ago; are they allowed to do this twice on the same debt? Wouldn't that be counting it as income twice?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 11:22 AM

You will report debt cancellation as income. Read about debt cancellation, Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Income Tax Topics 1

You will file amended tax return. For amending your tax return, you must file IRS Form 1040-X. Column A is what was on the original return, Column C is what should have been there (that is corrected amounts) and Column B is the difference. Complete these columns and then refigure your tax.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 11:37 AM

That's what we were told. But according the link I posted, can't we get out of this by showing that they agreed to settle the account "in full" for a lesser amount? We got the entire account cleared off his credit report because they weren't reporting it properly. And like I asked, can they "charge off" the same debt twice from 2 different collectors? Wouldn't that be counting the money as "income" twice?
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2009, 03:51 PM

I also forgot to mention that this 1099-C was postmarked 02/02/09; I know the other forms have to be postmarked by 01/31. Could I use that as a means to push this onto next year's taxes?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 09:12 AM

1099-C for 2008 is income for 2008.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2009, 03:33 PM
    The filing deadline for Form 1099 was extended to 15 February 2008, so you are stuck claiming it on your 2008 tax return.

You CAN appeal the amount in the Form 1099-C if you can show that they agreed to a different amount, but do NOT let that stop you from amending the return and paying the taxes immediately.
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2009, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    The filing deadline for Form 1099 was extended to 15 February 2008, so you are stuck claiming it on your 2008 tax return.

You CAN appeal the amount in the Form 1099-C if you can show that they agreed to a different amount, but do NOT let that stop you from amending the return and paying the taxes immediately.
    Sorry to keep posting about the same thing but I still had a few questions.

1) Like I said before, the collection agency agreed to pay off the account for the settlement amount; we had no clue the "cancelled" amount would be considered income. Can we try to argue that the collection agency told us that settling the account would take care of everything? Like my husband pointed out, he would have been better off paying the account in full, rather than have it show up as a settlement as well as having to pay taxes on it.

2) Should the person preparing his taxes have asked him this question or is that usually not standard?

3) This debt had already been charged off by the original creditor; can the collection agency charge it off also? Wouldn't that be counting the same debt as income twice?

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to help us!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2009, 10:56 AM

1. You can try and argue with the collection agency that the amount should be considered "paid in full" rather than cancelled, but as the web site you cited says, they can refuse. I bet it's to their advantage to show the debt as "cancelled" as opposed to "forgiven," -- the cancelled debt may be considered as an expense to them, which lowers their reportable income as a business, and hence lowers their taxes. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

2. The tax preparer should ask what 1099 forms you've received, if any. Since you didn't have all your 1099's in hand whenyou went to him, it's not his fault.

3. You need to clarify what you mean by "this debt had already been charged off by the original creditor." Did you receive a 1099-C from the original creditor, so that this one is the second 1099-C you're gotten? Or are you saying that they sold the debt off to another agency? If the former you have a case, if the latter you don't.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2009, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    Did you receive a 1099-C from the original creditor, so that this one is the second 1099-C you're gotten? Or are you saying that they sold the debt off to another agency?
    I'm not 100% positive if he received a 1099-c from the original creditor; it happened a few years before I knew him. I do know that the original creditor reported it to the credit bureau as being "charged off" so would that mean he would have gotten one back then?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099 filing [ 1 Answers ]

My accountant says anyone or sole proprietor business that rec'd 600.00 or more in calendar year including merchandise. Does anyone know for sure if merchandise is included?

1099 INT & H4 filing [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in 2007 so I will be filing married jointly correct? I am on H1 and wife is on H4. I don't have my wife's SSN so I need to apply for ITIN? Can I file my tax(State & Federal) with W7 form attached to them or need to wait till I get the ITIN for my wife? I have to file 3...

1099 and W2 filing [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am under W2 and spouse is under 1099. I tried to file Taxes under Standard Deductions. My spouse earned $1600 (under 1009). After calculating the taxes, it seems nearly $400 to 500 getting less as refund. In otherwords before adding my spouse 1099 , I am getting $2300. After adding 1099...

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

W-2 and 1099 filing [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have filed W-2 (1040 federal and d400 state) in the past but this year I have w-2 and 1099 since I worked as a contractor for another company part-time. Now, I have these questions: 1. Exactly what form should I file for 1099? 2. Are there different forms for both federal and state...

View more questions Search