Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillyJeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Does wife's credit affect mine?
    My wife has $5880 in credit card debt that has been turned over to collections. Do I have to worry about the debt affecting my credit? Will a judgement affect me? How likely is it that the company will sue? Can the company go after our joint checking account? How about a joint CD? I live in Michigan, and it isn't a community property state, does this help me? Please help me any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2006, 02:48 AM
    I don't know MI state laws, but these answers are general rules of thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by BillyJeff
    My wife has $5880 in credit card debt that has been turned over to collections. Do I have to worry about the debt affecting my credit?
    If you were not on the account with her, then it should not affect your credit.

How likely is it that the company will sue?
    You can never guess... but since they can, you should assume that they will.

Can the company go after our joint checking account?
    Very probably.

[QUOTE=BillyJeff] How about a joint CD? I live in Michigan, and it isn't a community property state, does this help me? /QUOTE]

I don't know about these last two.

There are other good credit folk on this site, though, let's see what they have to say.

Good luck with it, Billy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to adopt my wife's child no father on birthcertificate [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married since Sep 2000 and were living togeather in March of the same year. She has 2 children by two different fathers. The oldest one's father is in the picture and active in her life. The youngest 8 yrs old now, has never seen her birth father and has lived with me since...

How do you add your name to wife's property? [ 4 Answers ]

How do you add your name (husband) to property of (wife)? Approx. how much does this cost?

Foreclosure process and affect on credit [ 1 Answers ]

I am current on my mortgage payments however, my supportive income has been lost due to our separation. We were not married and his name was not on my home loan. I have attempted to sell the house in the past with no luck. I'm raising my children alone and it will be a true struggle to make the...

What does a clogged filter affect? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, It is common knowledge that as a filter (whether undersink or whole-house) gets closer to replacement time, the water flow is adversely affected. What I would like to know is, what exactly is the clogged filter affecting: the PRESSURE (i.e. if there would be a booster pump on the outlet...

View more questions Search