Ask
    hounddog3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2009, 07:10 AM
    401k money
    How do you claim money recevied from a 401k on your taxes
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 6, 2009, 10:43 AM

Your plan administrator will send you a 1099-R form that reports the amount of withdrawal and the amount of federal tax withheld. You enter the amount of the withdrawal on line 16 of Form 1040 (“Pensions and Annuities”). You report taxes withheld on line 64 (“Federal income tax withheld from Forms W-2 and 1099”).

If this withdrawal is subject to the early withdrawal penalty you report the 10% penalty on line 60 (“Additional tax on IRAs, other qualified retirement plans, etc.). Your 1099-R should have a "reason code" listed for the distribution. If it is "1" then the administrator is saying that this was an early withdrawal, subject to the 10% penalty.

Form 5329 may also be required, for example if you are claiming an exemption from the early withdrawal penalty.

Also, if you live in a state or municipality that has income tax you have to report the withdrawal as income to them as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Age 591/2 can I take my 401k money [ 12 Answers ]

Without being taxed

401K money [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find my 401K and take money out of it?

401k money. [ 1 Answers ]

How do I go about getting my 401k money back from my previous jobs?

Want my 401k money [ 4 Answers ]

I have found a vacation home that I would like to purchase.. I need 20% down.. I want to get the money out of my 401k plan.. not worried about the taxes and penalties.. just want the money... how can I get it. Thanks

Need money from 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Need to take my money out of my 401k plan,what steps do I need to take.

View more questions Search