Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2009, 09:17 PM
    Water heater pilot won't stay lit..
    Unit was new about 14 months ago, worked fine till recently.

Whirlpool BFG1F404053NOV0751118163
    Valve: Robert Shaw 64-LF8-376R110 RATSP1

Initially I was able to light the pilot again, and fire the heater and it would work, I believe up to temp, then hours later I'd notice the water going colder, and it would be out again.

When pilot fires, it is blue. If its been a while the main burner will cause sizzles and orange flames, once warm it went away

Pulled and cleaned the thermocouple - same behavior - pilot lit, cycled 1 time, - found hours later cold.

Next day, won't hold a pilot light at all.

Installed new thermocouple, won't hold a pilot.

Replaced thermocouple 2nd time, same won't hold a pilot.

I have the hurricane strap around the base as I have had since new.

Lower air intake grating doesn't appear dirty. There is a fireplace inline after the water heater - It holds pilot and will fire, so I doubt gas is the issue.

I have also checked to see if a breeze back is occurring down the flue, and it doesn't appear to be.

My furnace is right next to it, witch works fine. The day we 1st noticed no hot water, the furnace would light and cycle off. Its TC was a bit dirty, and with a quick rub by hand it was firing like allways

Please hep me with your ideas.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 09:36 PM
    The flame Safe Guard features are causing major problems with the new water heaters.

Your water heater is actually made by this company with a Whirlpool label slapped on to it.

American Water Heaters - Home

You might visit this site and get some pointers about exactly how the new safety system works since there is no reason to go into that here because the posting would take forever. Blame the problem on our Government since they put the new rules in place before the technology was actually working correctly.

BTW here is your manual.

http://www.americanwaterheater.com/s.../BFGmanual.pdf
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2009, 07:41 AM
    Replaced gas valve under warranty - that fixed it. I also went to flamelocksupport.com and ordered the upgrade, might as well be upgraded!
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 10, 2009, 09:16 AM
    Glad you got it working.
    tehendry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 08:16 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my water heater, same gas valve. Where did you get the new valve? Flamelocksupport.com isn't giving me anything, just a search engine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater pilot light will not stay lit [ 43 Answers ]

The pilot light on my gas water heater will not stay lit. I can light the pilot light, but when I release the valve, it goes out.

Blue Flame-Pilot will not stay lit-Hot Water Heater [ 7 Answers ]

My pilot light has a crisp blue flame when I light it and stays that color, but it will not stay lit. I have no problem lighting it, and then it takes off, but then it will go out after an hour or so. So, is this the thermocoupler?

Water heater pilot won't stay lit [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, last Friday BGE (Baltimore Gas and Electric) turned off the gas supply to a couple row houses on my block. They said water had gotten in the gas line and they were in the process of clearing it out. On Tuesday, when I was able to get my heat back (electric ignitor), the service guy tried to...

Leaky water heater, now pilot light will not stay lit [ 1 Answers ]

We had a substantial leak in our water heater, to the point where the insulation was soaked around the tank. We had that fixed by a plumber but now the pilot light will not stay lit. it will light, and seconds after turning the heat back to on it will go out. It has now been over 24 hours since...

Water heater pilot won't stay on [ 1 Answers ]

The pilot on my water heater will turn off two to three times per week. Why might cause this problem?

View more questions Search