Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2006, 11:34 AM
    Curious about RAM
    I have an old computer that I am using as the children's computer, and yesterday I upgraded the RAM from 64 MB to 256 MB. That went fine, but the only thing is, in the system information, the computer has always said it had 63 MB of RAM, even though the old simm says 64 MB. And now it says 255 MB, even though the 2 simms I added are both 128 MB.

Everything works fine, no problems, but I'm curious about that extra 1 MB that's "missing". Where did it go?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Aug 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
    I haven't looked at this issue very closely, but it is probably some memory used by the motherboard in the bios or similar. Many computers have onboard graphics cards that will share 32Mb or 64Mb, in effect stealing it from the main system memory. This is probably what is happening here, either with the graphics or some other device!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Aug 10, 2006, 01:06 PM
    Hehehehe, I've always had the same issue with my older Compaq boxes.
    They all have 256 Mb, but read as 255 Mb.
    I think it has something to do with older Bios versions and larger amounts or RAM.
    I wouldn't worry about it, after all what's 1 Mb between friends ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Curious [ 12 Answers ]

I was just wondering, but my friend told me that a period doesn't last very long when you are using tampons and it lasts longer when you are using pads.. is this true?

Curious [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, my significant other and I had intercourse about 3 weeks ago. We didn't bother to use protection because he said in the beginning of our relationship that the doctor told him he was sterile, but they never actually performed a sperm count on him. Well about 2 weeks after we had intercourse...

Just curious... [ 1 Answers ]

Aloha! I'm new to this site and posted a reply earlier... But I guess it will be easier to post here... My name is Jeannie BD: 11/4/74, my husband Jeff BD: 11/5/75, and my daughter Noel BD: 2/3/99. I am just curious about what is generally ahead for us in the next year. I read Tarot and am...

View more questions Search