Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 05:59 PM
    Navion water heater
    Navion vs other tankless water heaters. Any body had experience with Navion? Are they as good as the rest, or possibly better or worse. My company just picked up Navion, and I have my concerns, first and foremost, they are very expensive. Any input about tankless water heaters(especially Navion) would be appreciated.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2009, 06:51 PM
    Sorry Lee... I can't help here.

I have only installed 3 of these... two NORITZ models and 1 BOSCH unit.

Noritz is a nice unit... highly recommend. Sometimes homeowners ask that we use the Bosch tankless unit as they are available at home depot and are cheaper than Noritz.

I've never even heard of Navion... will be interesting to learn more about these from you as time goes by... ;)

For now, get I suggest you get the specification sheets or the installation manuals on the more common models and compare each to determine best in the bunch!

I can't wait to see what others recommend!

MARK
    Attached Images

Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 04:32 PM

Thanks, Ill keep you posted.

By the way, sorry I misspelled it,, its actually spelled NAVIEN. Literature says up to 98 percent eff. It is a condensing unit Quite a bit larger than other tankless I have seen, of course the first one I put in was the largest available, so maybe that's is why it was so big. Can be vented with sch 40 Pvc up to 100ft and can also order a model with a built in recircp pump and timer. Quite impressive really, just not sure if it would ever really pay for itself, but the neverending hot water may be worth it to some. The unit I installed can produce up to 7gpm depending on incoming water temp. our water temp is around 47 degrees, so we will get about 6 gpm. Certain models even include a small buff tank that eliminates flow switch meaning you can get hot water with even minimal flow. Check out Navien on the web, they make it sound like the one to beat, but I'm more interested in actuall info from people that have delt with them and others and can tell me their personall advice. As far as I can tell, navien is fairly new in the game, but sounds like they may be leaps and bounds ahead of some of the others They do have a 15 year heat exhanger warranty and built in leak detection. Sounds a little to good to be true, but like I said, these baby's are pricy. My boss did some figuring and figured it could pay for itself in ten years. That's if you are lucky enough not to have any problems. Maybe if they lasted twenty years, trouble free, then I could justify one, but I'm afraid there going to be some service issues, hope I'm wrong. Lets hear what all you guys out there think.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 04:50 PM
    Hi Lee... how goes the picture posting?

I was hoping Milo would pop in and chat about these heaters. I know he has experience with a few different kinds... although I don't know about NaviEn... ;)

If he doesn't see this then I think it would be a good idea to private message him and see what he has to offer.. ;)

MARK
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:11 PM

The pic posting is going good, although I need to learn how to cut a few steps, thank you again for getting me started.

I was also hoping to hear from Milo on this. We have had our dissagreements about tankless, but now that I will be installing more of them, it would be nice to know if I'm installing a good product. If they are as good as the saleman makes them sound, Milo, you may even switch over.lol.
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:15 PM

Here's a pic, thanks to you
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Nice... very nice!

How much.. And how many fixtures does it serve?

Thanks...
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 05:46 PM

The largest unit(without recirc) is around 1800(custermers price, not including labor and materials) With this unit you can run two showers, and one sink and have endless hot water(this will vary depending on ground water temp). If you turn on a fourth(and this is strictly off my personal findings) it will give you warm, almost hot water, but not hot enough for the average person. But you can run four sinks, and have all the hot water you want. I installed mine in a residential house, where there may be two different showers being used at the same time, but no other fixtures will be in use. So this seems ideal for this household. The unit I installed came preset at 120 degrees. The homeowner was there when I fired it up, and his only complaint was that the water wasn't hot enough. I Kicked it up to 125 and he was happy. I told him to be careful because I noticed that the water actually got hotter after about 30 seconds. It comes with a remote that allows the homeowner to change water temp setting without opening unit. (Crazy? )

This system was installed in a house that has a booster pump, so I really can't trust readings.

My boss is going to install one in his house in the near future, and we will have a lot more time to see how well this thing really works. We are planning on putting it to the test
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 05:53 PM

Hello Lee and Mark,

I was just bored until I saw this post and did some research found the following links just FYI, Thanks.

Regards,
    John

http://www.navienamerica.com/Navien%...Jan%202008.pdf

Pro Star - Navien Tankless Hot Water Heater

YouTube - Navien CR-210A Tankless Water Heater Review Part I
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 7, 2009, 06:15 PM

Thanks afaroo. Great links. Im even more distraught about the prices now. I installed the cr240, our price was around 1500, sold it for 1800. I guess my boss must have some connections, because I don't think he would have taken them on at those prices, $2344!! wow. I had to laugh at the utube video. Good stuff, but I'm pretty sure the guy had no clue as to what he was looking at. Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. I can't get the first one to open(most likely my computer). Thanks again, and, by the way, what do you think of these heaters.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2009, 06:25 PM

I don' have any experience with it but they advertise that it is very reliable, Thanks.

Regards,
    John
    Mshearm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 07:39 PM
    Navien is made by a manufacturer out of South Korea named Kyung Dung. Does South Korea ever make anything good? There are over priced. Some people like the fact that they can be vented with PVC but it's a two pipe system. If you use combustion air, you need to make sure there is enough to avoid negative pressure. Lazy people and cheap people will fall for this. Also they do not make outdoor models. These heaters are notorious for outregous temperature spikes that will burn the person in the shower. They can spike up to 15 degrees. Navien is aware of this. They also have had major issues with there PC boards. They chose to launch these units to beat Noritz's condensing heater and Rinnai's upcoming concentric condensing water heater.
    jordan120 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2009, 09:09 PM

The navien is a great heater I install and service them they run great as long it is installed properly. You can also hook around 95 unit to gether to work as one heater sweeet one is the master and the rest are slave units this is for bigger homes were the master shower has a lot heads. They also have agood tec support , good about there warranty ,and over night parts to you. They are easy to diagnose it has code for every thing on it the one with recerc have internal an external recerc programing the unt is easy take about 1 min . If you do 2 unit you can vent 2 4" pvc vent instead of 4 3" pvc vents hope iwas some help any other ? Just let me know
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 21, 2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info jordan120. Haven't had any complaints from customers as of yet. Ill keep you in mind if ever need more info. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Power vent water heater verus a direct vent water heater [ 2 Answers ]

I am replacing a leaking 40 gallon reliance gas water heater. The former owner put in a regular (not power or direct vent water heater) illegally. I want to replace the heater with a power vent model but there is no electricity in tbe closet. In addition, if there is a power outage, there will be...

Water heater hookup with sidearm supplimental heater [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: I'm hooking up a sidearm heater to an existing electric water heater for use with an outdoor wood furnace. I've seen diagrams showing the upper port of the potable water side hooked up to the anode port, the TPV port, and the cold water inlet port. My initial thought is that plumbing it into...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search